Drilling a large hole through logs..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't sure if this needed to go here or in woodwork section, apologies if wrong.

I'd like to drill a large-ish 2 inch wide hole through a 6 inch diameter log to pass through some piping.

I can find drill bits to make a wide enough hole, but not ones 'long' enough to go all the way through the log.

I thought of using a long masonry bit and just widen it, but I'm not sure that would work and it certainly would be messy!

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
I don't know about the drill bit itself as such, although an online search gives various options, but you are aware that drilling a hole that big is going to take a pretty powerful drill to do it depending on the hardness of the wood?

I think I'd consider drilling a pilot hole all the way through, and then getting in there with a Starrett hole saw from each end.....going slowly and chiselling the waste away every 15mm or so.
As Dave says, an auger bit would take some turning at that diameter, forstner bits are a hell of a price too.
I haven't been able to find a 50mm flat bit before, and the adjustable ones aren't really man enough for the job. Certainly, a masonry bit is not the right choice.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I'd use a Forstner bit. You'll need an extension to do 6" but these are cheap. They need less power than a flat bit so a standard drill should be fine. You can pick a cheap one from toolstation. Won't be very good quality but fine for a few holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back