Making my exterior look normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a house but the exterior looks rather odd:

5032-picture1.jpg

Needless to say the yellow paintwork is probably an issue, but what colour to go to? And new windows too.

Can anyone think of anything else to make the exterior look nice?

Sponsored Links
Paint it white. Any other colour will look even worse.

And white windows.

It will need painting every 5 years or so as the sun and dirt yellows it.

Paint it white. Any other colour will look even worse.

And white windows.

It will need painting every 5 years or so as the sun and dirt yellows it.

Thanks Steve.

Would introducing small amounts of black somewhere look good?

Any other thoughts anyone on additional things to make the exterior look normal?

It doesn't look abnormal to me :confused:

Does the peaked roof indicate you live in the south?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't look abnormal to me :confused:

Does the peaked roof indicate you live in the south?

I'm not sure about the peaked roof, but we are in the south ;)

I'm sure the exterior was one of the reasons the owner found this difficult to sell - it does stick out on the street - and we're keen not to be in the same position when looking to move on.

I'm sure the exterior was one of the reasons the owner found this difficult to sell - it does stick out on the street - and we're keen not to be in the same position when looking to move on.
Just tell prospective buyers about the advantages - It's the only place in the street you can't see a yellow house from. :p

There's a house on my street where they left a gap when the street was built in the 40's. The gap was filled by a 4 bed detached house in the 70's, which couldnt stand out more! All the other houses are 2/3 bed semis.

There's a house on my street where they left a gap when the street was built in the 40's. The gap was filled by a 4 bed detached house in the 70's, which couldnt stand out more! All the other houses are 2/3 bed semis.

Similar story actually. Half the street was built in the '30s, this was added in 1945 and the rest of the street built in the '50s.

Sticks out somewhat, hence wanting to 'normalise' it.

In my opinion I think the problem is the large amount of flat facade and the windows are very wide in proportion to the width of the house.
Kind of needs something to break it up.
I don't know, maybe a tiled awning across the front over the top of the ground floor windows and doors?

Art Deco meets Neo - Lithic :?: Builder designed , not architect designed ;) re roofed in the 70`s with redland 45`s :cry: change the colour and paint over the soldier courses over the windows. they look like A. Darling`s eyebrows :LOL:

In my opinion I think the problem is the large amount of flat facade and the windows are very wide in proportion to the width of the house.
Kind of needs something to break it up.
I don't know, maybe a tiled awning across the front over the top of the ground floor windows and doors?

I thought that......build an open porch but carry an extended roof over the ground floor window and fit a 3 sided window( like a bay window but it extrudes from the flat wall) underneath the new roof.

That should give it some shape and feature!

Anopther more expensive option is to possibly gable the front wall and make a feature of the gable with some nice timber work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back