Making opening in blockwork wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a built in cupboard (1950s terrace house), the right hand half is made of two timber doors 6ft high but the opening goes beyond the doors to the left where there is just a wall, basically the doors only give access to half the total cupboard space. The ceiling is 7'7" high.

To utilise the space better we want to knock out the whole width of the space which is about 1.7metres wide, and after i want to have a single frame with an internal curtain.

I know that the wall is made of blockwork - the horrible black ones which are very crumbly, and the top part above the door height is stud wall type.

What is the best way to make the opening, retaining the stud part ontop?

Do i need a slit cutter to cut the blocks, or can i knock it out with a hammer and chisel? Bearing in mind i want as little dust as possible.

Will i need to prop it considering its non loadbearing?

thanks - ps i'm a very non experience DIYer when it comes to bricks and walls....but I'm good with timber.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is not carrying or supporting any load or tieing in any contecting walls?
Be sure that it is not, if you are unsure call a structural engineer.
Some pictures would help to understand what you have.
But if it is safe to remove the blocks, I would use a lump hammer to do the major work and hammer and chisel to finish it off, that will create less dust and mess.
Still remove as much furntiture etc.. that you can from the area and cover everything else up.

Sponsored Links
Be cheaper to get a builder to remove it than get one of those overcharging villains in.
Certainly would be cheaper, providing the builder knows what he's doing, but the main thing is to make sure the wall is not a support/loading bearing one, prior to contact with hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back