Making plasterboard splash-proof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I managed to build a partition wall in my garage to section off an area for a darkroom. I made the partition wall and ceiling with plasterboard and now need to make it splashproof. As usual there is no budget left...so cannot seal it like recomended for a bathroom (membranes and tanking etc are too expensive). B&Q recomended I use PVC to seal the palsterboard off, however I hear that that might not be a practical solution, or even a solution at all... Does any body have any suggestions. I plan to set a large sink against this wall and a tap and it will get wet every so often. The sice is 7'X9'

Thank you so much
Luis

Sponsored Links
Most probably best to paint it with a waterproof paint, something like acrylic.
Thank you. Just like that? Straight from the can onto the plasterboard paper? No priming needed, just the paint will act as sealer? Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
tiles or numerous other materials would make a good splashback. glass, stainless steel. fit sink first then splashback.

So, in general no one seems to have an issue with using either PVC or acrylic paint straight onto the plasterboard as long as I put something around the sink like tiles or PVC. Thanks for your help.

Most probably best to paint it with a waterproof paint, something like acrylic.
Thank you. Just like that? Straight from the can onto the plasterboard paper? No priming needed, just the paint will act as sealer? Thanks again.
That would depend on the type of paint you apply, some do not require an undercoat, it is always advised to to read the manufacturers instruction on the tin first.
I would have advised a splash-back material such as perspex or tiles but it sounded like you were budgeting for a less expensive application. As you looking for an area of about 6sqm, it maybe possible to get some end of line tiles at a discounted price and if it is more for functional reasons, rather than an aesthetic one, you could consider a mash-up of different tiles, if cannot get a batch of 6sqm of one type.

You wouldnt need to tile the whole wall just around the top of the sink about 12inches high and just past the edges of the sink about half a tile,,...

ABS sheet is easy to work with as it can be easily cut, can be bent using heat and solvent welded to create liquid proof seams between panels. The "temporary" shower tray I built from black ABS 4 years ago is still in good condition and is likely to become permanent. The shower walls are plaster board faced with grey speckled ABS sheet fixed at the top of the wall. ABS does expand with heat so an expansion gap may be necessary to prevent it buckling when very warm

The supplier was http://stephen-webster.co.uk/products/abs/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back