making shelves..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create a L shaped shelf for a walk-in wardrobe for storage.

One length will be longer than the other. My plan was to measure what I needed, go somewhere and have it cut as one piece then use 3 standard brackets for mounting it.

Where should I go to have a piece cut and whats the best matieral for the job? Standard white kontraplast stuff should be ok and I can apply edging afterwards to it. Will probably be just less than a foot wide.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Liam

Sponsored Links
Most proper timber yards will cut to measure, but may make a small charge on top of the timber costs. It's often worth it however.

Probably won't do melamine faced boards, but painted MDF does a nice finish and they will have a wide choice. They might do exactly what you want.

thanks for the reply. I was hoping to buy the white boarding that i can just stick edging on to help save on paint cost. Where would i buy this from, you know the stuff that you find in kitchen cupboards. Whats it proper name?

Conti-board, some sell something similar like Wickes 'keyboard', but it's all inferior to mdf in strength and finish.

Sponsored Links
You could still edge the MDF, easiest stuff is Fastedge from the Fastcap people

You can buy Conti-board with finished or unfinished ends. Here is a list of sizes, the majority of which are available at most DIY stores.

http://www.conti.co.uk/range.html

My advice would be to get the finished ends so that you will have nice flat edges where they join to form the 'L'. Trying to cut a square edge for the joint by hand can be difficult and usually results in some chips. (Mmm, chips!!) Of course, this will depend on the squareness of the walls and you might have to cut at the joint.

You can use dowels to give the board a decent hidden joint, but however you join them, they will need to be supported at this point with one of the brackets for strength.

size wise its about 68inch long and 49 inch wide in an L shape to go in a walk in wardrobe.

So if I went to B and Q they could cut something this size and say about 9inches deep all around?

Most B&Q stores offer a timber cutting service (used to be first 3 cuts free and 50p each thereafter) but I'm not sure if they do cut Conti - I imagine so because they do worktops.

They should have boards to suit the dimensions you require but be warned: If they cut to the measurements you give and they are wrong, you will be at fault, so check, check and check again!! :(

i dont think the boards b and q do will be suitable for the measurments I need above will they? I am wanting to have the shelf made out of one piece of wood ideally to avoid a join.

i dont think the boards b and q do will be suitable for the measurments I need above will they? I am wanting to have the shelf made out of one piece of wood ideally to avoid a join.

My mistake, didn't register that you were hoping to get it in one piece. :oops:

You will not get Conti-board big enough to make it in those dimensions in one piece. In fact, if its 68" long and 49" wide you won't even get it out of a full sized sheet of MDF in one piece.

mmm, well whats one to do? Get it in two strips and just push them together at the base of the "L" at 90 degrees, then tidy up the edging with edging strip...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back