Making this planter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve seen this planter that I’m thinking of copying:

4FE18CF4-1361-4C78-89BE-D495115D4DB6.jpeg
Taken from here:
https://www.prettyplanter.co.uk/product/long-hexagonal-planter

I’ve worked out the frame is made from 44x44mm pine. The top “ring” is screwed together as you can see the screws. The other layers or rings don’t appear to be fastened in any way.

How can I assemble it so it will stick together? Dowels? Pocket screws? I’d have thought glue won’t be enough. I plan on making this at least 3m long and 1m wide.

My alternative planter design was to make a simpler box from 2x6 for the sides and 2x4 for the legs:

Sponsored Links
Each section will be screwed together from above as they all overlap at corners .
For ease of use and assembly may be easier to make two or three smaller sections screwed together.Used this method for my bamboo planters .

The one I had each layer was nailed through to the bottom layer, when I finally broke it up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I made my last (tiered) planter out of pine from Wickes which I treated with wood preservative and then decking oil.

This time I plan to paint the planter a light to medium oak colour. Any problems with going for pressure treated timber from Wickes? Buying proper timber like red cedar is horrendously expensive at 15x what I’m paying for at Wickes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back