Vertical or horizontal battens for attaching planters to shed wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Long time lurker who has benefitted massively from your collective knowledge. Thanks!

I’ve made 3 planter ‘troughs’ (900mm wide) from old scaffold, and want to attach them to my shed. What’s best: 2 x vertical battens fixed through the exterior cladding into the vertical studs of the shed (650mm spacing) and planter screwed to those, or 6x horizontal battens (2 per planter) spanning the studs, please? Does it even matter?

For ref, when I say ‘studs’ they are 30mmx15mm so not super strong/deep, but it’s shiplapped externally and 13mm OSB lined internally so it’s very stiff.

Thanks loads for your help.

Edit: my reasoning for using battens at all is to keep the planter timbers away from direct/permanent contact with the shed.

Sponsored Links
how heavy are the planters??
go inside to the area you are thinking about attaching to and push hard and see how the shed reacts as a heavy hanging load will pull continuously in that direction

I've done similar this year & I chose vertical as it's more load sympathetic to the structure of the shed & rainwater won't be sitting on those horizontal battens.

how heavy are the planters??
go inside to the area you are thinking about attaching to and push hard and see how the shed reacts as a heavy hanging load will pull continuously in that direction
They’re about 8-10kg each. There’s no bow in the structure if I pressure it

Sponsored Links
I've done similar this year & I chose vertical as it's more load sympathetic to the structure of the shed & rainwater won't be sitting on those horizontal battens.
This is really useful, thank you. I was struggling to visualise the better use of load using my fading memory of school physics :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back