Making timber floor less orange/more brown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just stained the (new) pine floorboards in my flat and i'm not entirely happy with the colour. The stain was 'Rosewood' and i was hoping for a dark brown, but it's come out really quite orange.

Unfortunately, i didn't have time (for various reasons) to re-stain with a different colour, so I had to go ahead with putting varnish on to seal it. The varnish I've used is clear satin and obviously hasn't changed the colour.

I've pretty much accepted that i'll have to live with it that way, as I'm not going to sand the varnish off and re-stain, but was wondering if I could make a difference to the colour by buying a coloured varnish and putting that on at this stage.

I would be grateful of any suggestions

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Whoops. The best way forward is to make up strips of pine with the same stain and varnish to what you have on your floor and applying sample pots of varnish you fancy to these to see if the finish is what you want.

As I am sure you will agree, making samples in the begining although slightly time consuming would have saved you disappointments in the long run.

Alternatively, Hire an industrial sander that will make easy work (Over a weekend atleast) ofg sanding back to bare wood that would better accept a new stain.. But remember to make samples!

When we moved into our new house, the floor boards in the living room were Dale Winton orange!!!

Hired a floor sander from HSS for the weekend and molested the floors to buggery until they were back to the origional blonde colouring. Didn't stain them, just varnished with Ronseal Clear satin floor varnish. Looks great.

Just make sure you spend the time to go over the floors to punch any nail heads well below (3-5mm) the surface otherwise the oiks at the hire shop will sting you for the belts! :eek:

dont forget you need acrylic for staining/varnishing as oil based products will yellow with time :cry:

Sponsored Links
Pine turns orange over time (when using clear/natural varnish or oil)

Oak turns 'honey-colour' yellow over time (when using cleat/natural varnish or oil)

Both are typical natural characteristics of the wood-types. Preventing this natural age colouring can be done by using a coloured varnish or oil.

Amixure of Sadolin Classic Dark Palisander and polyurethane varnish ( mixed before application ) produced a reddish brown colour that is very much like rosewood and very tough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back