Making & treating a garage side door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on a budget.

I've seen external doors for sale that have the correct width but not height.
At approximately just 188cm tall you can't buy a ready-made door that size and I can't find any that can be trimmed down to that size except this one which is about £135 with delivery. It's not that expensive but a bit scared if I screw it up!

I'm thinking of making a basic ledge & brace door using these and these which I can pick up myself. If this sounds like a plan (and possibly regardless of what type of wooden door I buy or make) what treatment or products should I use to weatherproof it as much as possible?

Here's a photo of the current door which is literally falling apart.
IMG_20210205_091132.jpg
I'm hoping the door frames are salvageable or will last for a bit longer. I already have this (see photo) but I'm assuming it won't do since it's for internal use?
IMG_20210205_091628.jpg

Do you think it's much better to get the one for £135 or know of anything better yet cheaper?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sheet of ply clad with pallets timber makes a cheap external door.
Or nice solid door from scaffold board seconds.

Thanks for your replies, I'm trying to find exterior plywood though.
Would this do?

Sponsored Links
on an external door, ply is very prone to falling apart if damp gets in though any edge.

I used the ply you show for flooring. I left the offcuts outdoors, and the unused material under a tarp.

after a week of rain the offcut pieces were falling apart and the sheeted material warped and bulging.

Thanks for letting me know.
I'm a bit stumped now with what I should use after having a look at what Wickes, Travis Perkins and Jewsons have got.
Should I stick to some cladding? It seems hardwood is the best for an external door but can't find any for the size and budget.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back