Making use of existing wiring...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My first post here hopefully these aren't questions that have been answered too often.

I'm finishing off a new house, the developer i bought is from has put wiring in for an alarm system, and i'm considering how to best make use of it.

I'f i do decide to go for an alarm there are a few issues, firstly i'm on a very tight budget (the house build is eating up any spare money right now) so with that in mind, is it possible to mix and match components, say for example i bought some second hand sensors from ebay could i connect them to a different control panel?

The second issue is that i do have two very active (crazy) cats, and though i have seen 'pet safe' sensors i'm not convinced how well they work and the type described in the sticky section wouldn't work on our preinstalled wiring, which is placed in the top corner of the rooms.

We will be using physical security measures (security shutters on the windows) and could fit seperate window / door sensors, so if with that in mind I decide an alarm is more hassle than it's worth, can anyone suggest a decent budged fire / smoke alarm system that could tie into the existing wiring.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
We will be using physical security measures (security shutters on the windows)
That is the better way to protect your property from theft. No matter how good an alarm is it will not prevent smash, grab and run thieves from getting away with your property. Only if your immediate neighbours are prepared to intervene and stop the burglars getting away will the alarm be effective.

Yeah shutters are very popular in Poland, never really came across them back in the UK that often.

i'm just fitting them to the ground floor initially, and if i decide against the alarm i will put some individual sensors on the windows upstairs i think

I think that you'd be better off getting (nearly?) new detectors and a second hand panel rather than the other way round. I've found that old PIRs tend to get a bit too sensitive (I know some people like that... ;) ).

No pet friendly detector will cope with cats that jump up on surfaces or climb up the curtains. Putting contacts on all the internal doors is a lot of work but it's cheap and cat-proof (if you make sure that the doors are closed before you leave).

Menvier M12 or Texecom OH-ho-ho-whatever smoke/heat detectors are both very good and can use standard intruder alarm wiring.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

this will take some carefull consideration i guess, luckily i have the rest of the house build to worry about first so plenty of time.

I also read about infra red alarm sensors that are supposed to be useable with pets, anyone had experience with those?

Bosch tritec duel tecs are the best your going to get for pets , but pricey at around £30 plus vat per detector

I also read about infra red alarm sensors that are supposed to be useable with pets, anyone had experience with those?
Break beam sensors are very good and can with a little thought when placing them be 100% pet friendly. They also have the advantage that one beam can cover all doors and windows on a wall.

Eighty Two said:
Putting contacts on all the internal doors is a lot of work but it's cheap and cat-proof (if you make sure that the doors are closed before you leave).
Totally agree with that. And would add that a wired alarm would probably not allow you to set the alarm if a protected door was open.

A PIR may not detect a person who is moving very slowly. But no matter how slowly they open the door the door sensor will operate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back