Makita charger blinking green and red

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My charger has suddenly started blinking red and green. I’ve tried 3 different batteries and same result.

Is it knackered?

Attachments

• 0538C03C-2DC0-443A-8485-59D06F4F3A9F.jpeg
    0538C03C-2DC0-443A-8485-59D06F4F3A9F.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 303
Sponsored Links
if its cold/damp try a warm/dry room for a couple off hours [both battery and charger] then try charging

Need to know what lights are on when it's charging.
Flashing green means it's charging.
Flashing red means the temperature is too hot/too cold. (Bring it in doors for a few hours to let the temp settle).
Steady green with 3/4 bars symbol means charged enough for light use.
Steady green with full bars symbol means fully charged.
Bottom line on your charger seems to show red & green lit up indicates your battery is damaged.
Post a pic of when it's on charge.

Sponsored Links
I’ve not used this for a few months. Tried charging a battery today and just get the blinking green light. It’s not making the usual racket when it’s charging.

Same battery and others charge fine on my other Makita charger.

Can it be repaired or ready for the skip?

Attachments

• 1AD81FE3-9EC2-4A4A-857A-77A0D6328C49.jpeg
    1AD81FE3-9EC2-4A4A-857A-77A0D6328C49.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 208
Flashing green light means charging. How long did you charge it? In our last house, I don't profess to know why, but my Makita charger would not charge when plugged in in the cellar, the light flashed as normal but it wouldn't charge, everything else worked just fine but not the charger.

Flashing green light means charging. How long did you charge it? In our last house, I don't profess to know why, but my Makita charger would not charge when plugged in in the cellar, the light flashed as normal but it wouldn't charge, everything else worked just fine but not the charger.
It’s been plugged in for an hour now. I’ve used this many times previously and in the same socket, as it happens. Normally, the fan starts up as soon as the charge begins. I’m not hearing any of that. Note that this is the same charger that I had the aforementioned issues with.

Possible you can't hear the fan because it's not warming up enough to warrant the fan kicking in. If the green light is flashing then this indicates it's charging. What size battery are you attempting to charge?
(You may not hear the fan because you are still wearing your ear defenders or, if you don't wear any, you may have gone partially deaf since originally posting this thread 6 months ago ;) )

What size battery are you attempting to charge?
5ah.

You may not hear the fan because you are still wearing your ear defenders or may have gone partially deaf since originally posting this thread 6 months ago ;) )
Possible…
I’m sure it was making that noise from the outset and every time. This seems way too quite and it’s still going…

5Ah will take around 45 minutes to fully charge, according to this site.

Of course, this is assuming the battery is in good condition and not beginning to deteriorate.
And you are using the charger that was supplied for that battery.

5ah takes 45 mins to charge with a rapid charger, OP’s charger looks like a standard one which takes longer.
My rapid charger shows red when charging and green when fully charged .If the charger is switched on with no battery in the dock then a green light flashes so maybe OP’s charger doesn't sense a battery .
Edit: Can confirm what conny says about temperature and the fan as it only comes on at a certain temperature.
If a battery comes of a machine its usually warm enough to trigger the fan but not if conditions are cooler and battery has been off for a while

Last edited:
Had a similar problem with my erbauer charger recently then realised the contacts were looking a bit corroded - just cleaned them up with a bit of sand paper and hey presto!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back