Makita Charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got the DC18RA Makita charger and never quite sure on when my batteries are fully charged.

Let me explain...

When I put a depleted battery on charge, there is a humming sound and the red light is lit up. After a while, there is a red and green light. Eventually there is a green-only light but the humming sound continues. I then think that after a further period of time the humming stops - not sure on this final point.

The third green light never lights up.

Can someone please clarify how I should determine that the battery is fully charged.

Sponsored Links
As you say, after the red and green light change to green only, the battery should be fully charged.

The humming is the fan, or some other electronic component. Mine plays music to signal the charging is complete.

Blup

On the DC18RA once charging is complete (all red lights out, ONE green light only one) the fan continues for a while to further cool the battery (although at that stage it can be removed and used immediately it may still be slightly warm to the touch). The tone it plays when it has finished charging can be changed by sliding the battery on then of and on again rapidly which causes the charger to change its tune (there are 4 or 5 as well as a silent mode)

Thanks guys. Do you know the purpose of the right most green light? This never lights up

Sponsored Links
It isn't green at all - it's yellow and it warns you either of the cooling problems such as the fan failing (flashing - in which case it won't charge the battery as doing so would cook the battery pack) or that the battery is "conditioning" (solid yellow - which I think means that the charger is attempting to balance the cell charge, as after a long period in storage). Never seen the latter, but I have seen the former when grit from sand blasting got inside my charger and killed the fan bearings. Try this video link as it explains it as well and shows the charger in use

Pretty robust, but basically almost unrepairable (at least economically) should they fail. I've killed only one in more than 12 years of trade use of Makita tools

Thanks guys. That’s very clear now and the YouTube video was very helpful too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back