Ryobi - Faulty Charger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, everyone. This is my first post on a DIY forum.

Just got my first property and currently trying to learn to do as much as possible myself.

I have bought myself a ryobi kit, as it was reccommended to me for decent quality and price home DIY.... nothing industrial, not used everyday or anything.

I got The middle of the range drill, jigsaw, and circular saw, with 2 batteries and a mains charger to get me started.

I think i may have a problem with the charger or something.

Wheni charge the batteries they never go green and the charger is always on red. Ive tried both batteries, one for 2 hours, the other 3 1/2. But the charger is always on red.

Ive checked the batteries and they work, they are powering the tools.

Do i have to deplete a battery and recharge a couple of times, or anything like that??

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Older batteries can take longer to charge, but your new ones should be done in under an hour. I'd contact Ryobi UK and see what they say, they are reputed to be quite helpful.

heeelllooo gaz0001 and welcome :D :D :D

unusual to take so long!!!

but untill the batteries settle down after several charges they can take ages longer to charge initialy 2 hrs is not unusual

if you batteries are around 90% discharged allowed to cool down for 20 mins and charged at room temperature i would expect by the 3rd or fourh charge the charging should be nearer to the 70 mins mark

if you think your batteries are fully charge i would give them another couple of cycles each to settle down before worrying ;)

Yes, brand new batteries may take several hours to show as full, and several charges to actually achieve their full capacity.

Run the batteries down and recharge. If the charger does not then show green after 2 hours max, then take both the batteries and charger back for replacement - as you may not know which is faulty

Sponsored Links
Yes, brand new batteries may take several hours to show as full, and several charges to actually achieve their full capacity.

Run the batteries down and recharge. If the charger does not then show green after 2 hours max, then take both the batteries and charger back for replacement - as you may not know which is faulty

Cool, cheers.

Might take a while though??? Will be putting in french doors this weekend, possibly a bit of rewiring, so might be able to run one of the batteries down??

Got no clue how long a battery will last! My dads Dewalt batteries will go almost all day with frequent use.

ryobi one+ are 1.7 ah
think of the ah as the fuel tank so greater the ah the greater the run time

your dads batteries could be 2ah 2.4ah 2.6 or 3ah so better run time but at over double the price

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back