Bosch Drill Troubleshooting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a drill from an auction house, the battery charger had been declared as “do not use” following PAT testing. So I purchased the drill, bought a new charger online & it arrived yesterday.

All appeared to be charging well (green light was flashing, then remained constant).

Put the battery in the drill & when I pull the trigger, the white light & all 3 green lights are lit. When I take my finger off the trigger they go off.

Any ideas? I’m absolutely gutted!

Attachments

• 0065EE8D-A5A2-4BDF-BC57-EABBBB8E3FCB.jpeg
    0065EE8D-A5A2-4BDF-BC57-EABBBB8E3FCB.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 741
  • A4C0A18A-24CC-4B42-A0CC-D3A6B5FBCDD4.jpeg
    A4C0A18A-24CC-4B42-A0CC-D3A6B5FBCDD4.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 719
Sponsored Links
About 14 for the auction lot & I bought a second hand charger for 15.

When I take my finger off the trigger they go off.

Well, that's how it is supposed to work! Some models/brands stay on for a few seconds after, but they all go off.

What actually doesn't work, I don't get what you're asking? The drill goes round forwards and backward I take it?

Sponsored Links
No, nothing happens OTHER THAN the lights coming on & going off!

I wonder if it's the battery rather than the drill? That one's 8 years old. Might be duff battery (ie not enough juice to power drill, just enough to power LEDs)?

Failed pat test usually only covers cable and plug which means cable was damaged or plug loose , miss wired , easily fixed .

Lithium batteries fail, just like any other type - especially if they have been left fully discharged for a while.
I think I'd bale out of this one....
John :)

I wonder if it's the battery rather than the drill? That one's 8 years old. Might be duff battery (ie not enough juice to power drill, just enough to power LEDs)?

Doubtful. Lithium batteries aren't like the days of nicd. Lithium will either output power or not, no inbetween sort of thing.

Failed pat test usually only covers cable and plug which means cable was damaged or plug loose , miss wired , easily fixed .

If it failed. I've spoken to one or two chaps on site who fail a couple of items every now and again for the sake of making the test look worthwhile. I'm always hounded about it on sites but truth be told, I just buy a roll of self adhesive pass labels.

Lithium batteries fail, just like any other type - especially if they have been left fully discharged for a while.
I think I'd bale out of this one....
John :)

When a lithium battery has failed you won't get anything at all out of it, not even enough to power the LEDs.

OP - Seems to me the battery and trigger are working, there's power there to run the LEDs and the trigger turns them on. Leaves me to think it's the motor. I'd open it up and get a multimeter on the pos and neg terminals of the motor then depress the trigger and make sure there is a voltage getting to the motor terminals. If yes, it's the motor. If no, it's the controller PCB.

The motor in these drills is a sealed unit, so you can't replace parts inside it, it's a whole new motor job. Looking at the first result, a replacement will set you back £35 before any postage.

A replacement PCB is £60 before postage.

My advice would be to sell the battery and charger and bin the drill; this is why I never buy tools I can't try first (unless I have protections such as what ebay offer), they're more often than not, duffers.

01_3603J56300.GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple things first. Do you have it in neutral (locked) rather than forward or reverse? (red switch above and to the left and right of the trigger). If so, this is normal. Move switch one way or the other. Apologies if you know this but not everyone does.

Simple things first. Do you have it in neutral (locked) rather than forward or reverse? (red switch above and to the left and right of the trigger). If so, this is normal. Move switch one way or the other. Apologies if you know this but not everyone does.

Attached photo shows the directional switch flush with the body and trigger depressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back