Makita Circular saw; 14.4v or 18v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to buy a circular saw and I don't know whether to get the 14.4v or the 18v.

There isn't much difference in the spec of both.

I will need it for installing garden decks in the main.

Should I go for the 18v?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
wouldnt want to use any cordless on wet timber
ok for the odd bit but wouldnt fancy cutting thicker than 35-40mm with my 24v bosch

in other words what i am saying is i dont know but suspect it would require several batteries around 8ah total capacity [as circ saw are very high draw ]and a chance to try on damp timber before you can form a decent opinion

I will be in peoples gardens and thought it would be easier/more convemient to have a cordless, also I may not always be able to get access to a mains supply easily?

Sponsored Links
by the way i wasnt saying the 24v bosch or indeed the 18v wont cut wet timber for decking it may quite happily i just dont know but i wood certainly expect any saw to bind on totaly wet timber

I will be in peoples gardens and thought it would be easier/more convemient to have a cordless, also I may not always be able to get access to a mains supply easily?

How are you going to recharge your batteries then?

Buy a decent 50m extension lead (plus rcd) Let it be known that you need a power socket available, they can always trail one out of a window if need be.

Anyway I wouldn't worry about it this time of year, bit late for the decking season.

I have a 18v cordless dewalt saw, it's perfect for cutting floor boards but goes through batteries like there going out of fashion for any board work. I would stick to a corded saw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back