Makita multitool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm slowly building up my Makita 18V cordless collection. I'm looking at buying a multitool. On here, it seems the Fein Multimaster is the best. But I've read their propriety starlock system means replacement blades can be expensive.

For the average DIYer, is the Makita DTM50 or DTM51 reasonable? Or should I look elsewhere?

From what I can tell, DTM50 is slightly older model, with allen key to change and a job light. DTM51 is newer, has a quick-change system but at the expense of a job light.

Sponsored Links
The Fein I have (FMM350) can take generic tools. You'll find most of the generic blades are machined to fit all kinds of brands.

Nozzle

Just got the DTM50, very pleased with it. I believe the DTM51 is identical other than as mentioned, but the head is bigger with the quick change lever and I needed to get as close as possible to what I was working on.

Otherwise I would go for quick change system every time.

Blup

with allen key to change

I have a Bosch with an allen key to change blades. It's not that big of a time waste, especially as I binned the included short allen key and keep a long arm allen key in the case (it keeps your fingers away from the blades' pointy bits, therefore less faffing).

Also, get blades that have the back bit missing...

Quick_Fit_Image.jpg

...then the allen bolt doesn't have to be completely removed to change blades.

Sponsored Links
I believe Bosch and Fein starlock are interchangeable blades, they're supposed to give greater grip between tool and blade, but are not compatible with Makita and Dewalt

Blup

Just got the DTM50, very pleased with it. I believe the DTM51 is identical other than as mentioned, but the head is bigger with the quick change lever and I needed to get as close as possible to what I was working on.

Otherwise I would go for quick change system every time.
I have a DTM51 and an older Fein FMM250Q. The corded tool rarely gets used these days as the cordless tool does almost everything I ever need. I'll second the comment about the slightly bulkier nose on the DTM51, but i don't really miss the light

I believe Bosch and Fein starlock are interchangeable blades, they're supposed to give greater grip between tool and blade, but are not compatible with Makita and Dewalt
It's the other way around - newer Fein and Bosch tools cannot use anything other than Starlock tooling (so no generics for them) whereas my Makita and older Fein tools can use both earlier/generic tooling and Starlock

Stealth wolf i saw your thread about your ABS Avocet euro key lock. I have also dont a similar thing. How much did it cost you for everything?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back