Makita UC 4020 A 1800 watt chainsaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I need to sharpen this chainsaw for the first time.

Q how do I get the chain to move along to continue sharpening each link.

Tried yesterday and the chin was reluctant to move.

No problem with the saw it's working OK.
thanks

Sponsored Links
I hold the machine in the vice with the chain bar at a slight angle upwards.
The chain can be pulled along if the chain brake is off and the tension not too tight. You can lock things up with the brake every couple of teeth if you want.
Juggling the chain tension should give you the movement you need.
John :)

I hold the machine in the vice with the chain bar at a slight angle upwards.
The chain can be pulled along if the chain brake is off and the tension not too tight. You can lock things up with the brake every couple of teeth if you want.
Juggling the chain tension should give you the movement you need.

Thanks John

Will give this a try.

Now Have purchased a Makita File Kit.

Slacked off chain saw it is well lose, BUT unable to move chain seems stuck fast, what should I do next ??

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I can’t say I’m familiar with many electric chainsaws but on the ones I’ve sharpened the chain spun around the bar without any problems.
Barring any sort of mechanical obstruction, is there a possibility that the motor has an electric brake (very likely) that somehow locks on as a default position?

I can’t say I’m familiar with many electric chainsaws but on the ones I’ve sharpened the chain spun around the bar without any problems.
Barring any sort of mechanical obstruction, is there a possibility that the motor has an electric brake (very likely) that somehow locks on as a default position?

Going to give all a try, stating it, check brake on/off, then then try again .

Thanks
John

Going to give all a try, starting it, check brake on/off, then then try again .

Thanks
John

Tried starting and stopping a few times, removed from electric, then slacked off chain, brake off, still chain will not move !!

Stump what to do next.

The manual isn’t any help here, so I’d remove the block holding the chain bar and check to see if the drive sprocket can rotate.
I guess the groove in the bar is clean enough?
The chain will always be stiff to turn but for sure it’s generally easy enough to pull it with one hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back