TITAN chain saw (TTL758CHN)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Just bought a chain saw by TITAN. I've never had a chain saw before. I believe I have installed the Guide Bar and the Chain correctly. I turned the saw on for a fraction of a second hoping that all is well. But, although I sensed the motor start, I'm pretty sure I never saw the chain move. Using a rag to protect my hand, I can move the chain in a direction opposite to the arrow mark on the Guide Bar. I get two clicking sounds when I do that. But I can only move the chain in the direction of the arrow a small amount, until it begins to become too hard to continue the movement. Is everything OK, or have I a problem? I'm not keen on starting the saw up without some input from others. Tension seems set as required. Thanks. Rich

Sponsored Links
I have had two Titans, is the kickback safety bar pushed forward ?
Pull it backwards *with the thing unplugged *

I only move the chain with the chainsaw unplugged, in order to sharpen the teeth with a manual chainsaw file.

**Edit: the chain will engage as the motor gains speed, be damn careful**

Hope you get it sorted, I used to buy Bosch but they're all plasticky too now . I've had a lot of good use with Titans, cutting wood for a wood stove.

Last edited:
Hi. That bar was in the backward position. What's confusing me is that on page 26 under "Chain brake" the blurb says " (Fig. 5a) 1) The chain brake in the disengaged position, the product can be operated". And "Fig. 5b 2) The chain brake in the engaged position, the saw chain is stopped as soon as the chain brake is activated". Reading this caused me to think the chain brake has to be in the disengaged position, when it fact it needs to be in the engaged position, which is achieved when that bar is pushed forward, as you point out. Thanks. Rich

EDIT: Oh, when the bar is pushed forward, there is nothing, so it has to be in the backward postion. The chain does move, I must have not seen it move first time I switched the saw on.

Last edited:
So, if you get kickback, your hand is bound to hit that front hand guard and stop the motor? Is that the theory?

Sponsored Links
Is all ok then ? The chain needs tightening usually after some quick use on logs (but the tightening procedure is not on the side like a lot of chainsaws), so I always unplug to tighten because of the poor design.

I've used these saws for a few years and got one lately, brand new on a one day deal.

£35 : )

So, if you get kickback, your hand is bound to hit that front hand guard and stop the motor? Is that the theory?
That's basically a switch, look up kickback and look at images.
It's the saw moving in a quick arc towards you, I had this happen on a petrol chainsaw a few times but I've been able to hold the Titan "down " in comparison.

Besides wearing the proper clothing and using a good quality face shield when using a chainsaw, (ANY chainsaw!), you also have to check the tension frequently. i.e. after every couple of cuts.
Try to pull the chain away from the bar. It should not pull away more than about 3-4mm. If it does it needs re-tensioning, especially if it's a new chain. Takes a few seconds to check the tension. It takes many months of physio after extensive surgery, (if you are lucky), to regain the use of your hands. If you are unlucky you may lose your hand, or worse, and it will be a nuisance trying to wipe your backside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back