Manchester...

My first house was in Gorton! Lived there from 1989.

Apart from the baseball bat through my Maestro's windscreen, countless stolen motorbikes, assault because I laughed at a joke my missus told me and a bloke on the other side of the street thought I was laughing at his wife, a kitten that got 2/3 eaten by a stray dog, kids on the roof who nicked our Sky sat dish, fireworks through the letterbox etc.., it was lovely!

Burnage (M19) can be a bit rough, but I don't think it's as bad as Gorton (M18).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Somewhat closer that I thought :) Was in MMU this evening and car share with a friend very near the crossroads with school lane/barlow moor. Fancy a pint some time - haven't been down your neck of the woods for a fair old while ;)

Didsbury has a lot of good restaurants and other eating places. I reckon you could go there every evening for a fortnight and visit a different place each day. I remember going to a good pub there several years ago. I can't remember the name but it had sawdust on the floor.

Speaking to a brewer friend of mine, it's a disgrace that they moved the pride of manchester down to south wales for logistic reasons. :confused:

Didsbury has a lot of good restaurants and other eating places. I reckon you could go there every evening for a fortnight and visit a different place each day. I remember going to a good pub there several years ago. I can't remember the name but it had sawdust on the floor.

Used to work in Didsbury Village in the 80's at Heald's Daries.

The Royal Oak used to be fantastic. You could go there and get a Ploughman's with a piece of cheese big enough to feed a family of 6 for a week. Or, if you didn't fancy cheese, they had pate as well. They used to have sawdust on the floor many moons ago.

Or the Dog and Partridge, nearer to School Lane. Been in there many a time.

In those days, we all used to go down the King Billy at lunch, which was outside the dairy gates and have a few and nobody minded. Can't see that today!!!

Now the dairy is sold off, houses fill the land and the King Billy is called the Fletcher Moss.

Used to work in Didsbury Village in the 80's at Heald's Daries..
Trying to remember the backstreet pub near the entrance to the dairy (think it's the Albert) :confused: There used to be a barmaid back in the 1990's who had unfeasably large breasts!!

Didsbury has a lot of good restaurants and other eating places. .
Have a drive down Chorlton - there's a shedload of eateries there. Went for a curry on Sunday at what used to be the Southern Pub (once a famous comedy club) - food was delicious!!

Used to work in Didsbury Village in the 80's at Heald's Daries..
Trying to remember the backstreet pub near the entrance to the dairy (think it's the Albert) :confused: There used to be a barmaid back in the 1990's who had unfeasably large breasts!!

It may have been called the Albert. I never looked! That was the one near the dairy gates.

Some of the old regulars called it the King Billy, perhaps as it was on William Street, it was once called The King William? Or maybe it was a nickname? Maybe the Landlord was called Billy?

The famous feature of the pub was the bar clock that went backwards.... ;)

You had to have had a few to tell the time by it...

As for the Knarge Lockers, there were a few there with them.

Some were behind the bar and some were not.

And they weren't all girls. ;)

Thanks everyone. Wow, that's some list to avoid :)

We're looking to buy, maybe renting would be a more sensible option but if an area feels right that what I'd rather do. We're looking at anything around 250, preferably an older property.

I've been on the Leeds Liverpool canal a few times but have always been warned off mooring up too near the city centre as your boat is likely to be attacked :)

I've been on the Leeds Liverpool canal a few times but have always been warned off mooring up too near the city centre as your boat is likely to be attacked :)

Presumably you're referring to the Ancoats area.
You're quite right, you will be attacked, robbed, your wife/girlfriend molested and your boat sunk.
And that's by the police - the residents are even worse!

Where is the job? Tell us and we'll tell you where to live so as to avoid the worst traffic. Generally the south and south east heading into Cheshire is worst.

Sponsored Links
Back