Manhold Cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After getting concrete dug up, the original sized opening for an inspection chamber has been revealed - its rectangular and larger than normal. over 60cm wide and over 90 cm long. How could this be reduced to fit a normal sized rectangular cover?

Sponsored Links
So would the lintels go width ways to reduce the length down to less than 500 say? And if so, if the width (which the long side of the cover would straddle) of the remaining hole is lets say a little less than 600 (I need to check the width) how can you reduce that part, given the lintels would stop you laying another lintel length ways on one side. i.e. how to reduce the manhole on two perpendiular sides - length and width. It needs to take the weight of a car.

Sponsored Links
So would the lintels go width ways to reduce the length down to less than 500 say? And if so, if the width (which the long side of the cover would straddle) of the remaining hole is lets say a little less than 600 (I need to check the width) how can you reduce that part, given the lintels would stop you laying another lintel length ways on one side. i.e. how to reduce the manhole on two perpendiular sides - length and width. It needs to take the weight of a car.
How much room (height) do you have to play with? What does the chamber lid look like presently? Piccies would help especially a look at the interior of the chamber (it may be concrete ring biggie).

How much room (height) do you have to play with? What does the chamber lid look like presently? Piccies would help especially a look at the interior of the chamber (it may be concrete ring biggie).

I will take a photo and the measurments

Have attached a photo. So the width is about 510mm and length is about 860mm. The bricks / concrete at the edge of the two long sides are stepped over a little, but only for about two thirds of the length of opening. I presume it would be better to have the cover over the narrower end anyway as that is closer to hole that goes to the sewer away from house and you would still be able to get to the other pipe (from the house). I didnt measure the depth.

So I guess its good news that the width is 510 as presumably the length of a standard rectangular cover is 600?? So what could be done to support a cover on all four sides? And how could I cover the remaining opening. ANd for it to be safe to drive over.
Chamber1.jpg

Lintel it and put a lid on across the shorter span:
47BD5CF6-EF62-43A9-9349-8FCBC06B90E6.jpeg

Lintel it and put a lid on across the shorter span:
View attachment 238161

Thank you, would some of the concrete / bricks need taking away before putting the lintels in? And similarly would the side of the lid that is not on the bricks be supported / sat on a lintel, so all four side of it are sat on something?

Take the bricks out to insert the lintels so it all runs level.

OK and presumably concrete lintels will take the weight of a call driving over it

You can buy deeper pre-stressed concrete lintels to suit your needs.

You can buy deeper pre-stressed concrete lintels to suit your needs.

OK thank you. Reality is that the manhole will probably sit centrally under the car so wont be actuallu driven directly often, but still want to make it secure. Then will probably get drive gravelled afterwards.

ok thanks a lot. Thats really helpful. And will just cover with gravel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back