Manhole/Inspection Chamber Filling with groundwater! Please Help

Sponsored Links
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
How do civil engineers prevent their manholes filling with groundwater i wonder?

By extending the well pipe as continuous pipe to a height above the ground level. No manhole involved. At least that is what happened at boreholes that friends have had installed, and it makes common sense to do that.

Yes it means the well head is visible ( as apposed to being buried and out of sight ) but that is a small inconvenience compared to having contaminated water.

How about made a ply enclosure around it then fibreglass the inside and outside. Also fibreglass uptown and around the centre hole. Does the pipe stick our the ground enough to get a seal on it? Then cap the the top with a lid.

Sponsored Links
By extending the well pipe as continuous pipe to a height above the ground level. No manhole involved. At least that is what happened at boreholes that friends have had installed, and it makes common sense to do that.

Yes it means the well head is visible ( as apposed to being buried and out of sight ) but that is a small inconvenience compared to having contaminated water.

Why this was not done by the contractors astounds me, the well contractor had to bail water in the hole surrounding the head to install the pump and pipes! i would like the well head above ground, sadly the well company in this part of rural ireland wont get back to me...

What size is the pipe coming out of the ground that the Well company have fitted?

Do they have extension pipes that they could fit?

Andy
It is a 6 inch diameter bore hole, is this something that could be easily achieved? i have no idea if they have extension pipe they wont return my calls. They have my money no longer care.

• Thanks
How about made a ply enclosure around it then fibreglass the inside and outside. Also fibreglass uptown and around the centre hole. Does the pipe stick our the ground enough to get a seal on it? Then cap the the top with a lid.

Thanks for your reply. The well head/pipe sticks above the concrete ive poured at least 1 to 2 inches. I wish it was much higher ha

Thankyou very much andy. I can get to the well head, so extending its height somehow may be a suitable solution. Thankyou everyone for your advice it is really appreciated. Im going to try my luck waterproofing the concrete and inner chamber with isoflex primer and liquid rubber. If not then the only solution is most likely to extend the height of the well head. I just cant understand why the well men removed so much from the top...

• Thanks
From what i can gather the reason the well head is below ground is to prevent it freezing in winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back