manifolds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first time on this website and I am not sure if I am posting this question in the correct place. Please could some one tell me where to find 'MANIFOLDS' in a detached house with bedrooms upstairs. Also, would radiators upstairs have a different manifold and radiators downstairs have a separate manifold. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not all systems have manifolds. Of those that do, the manifold is generally in the middle of the house somewhere, sometimes in an airing cupboard. It's more a case of searching than anything else, are there any cupboards it could be hidden in etc. Sometimes manifolds are buried under floorboards and the only way to get at them is to pull carpet and boards up.

Why do you need access to it anyway?

I'm assuming that the pipework to your radiators is in micro bore (normally 8 or 10mm) so that is why you are assuming you have manifolds?

If this is the case then as muggles says the manifold for upstairs will normally feed the upstairs radiators, it will more than likely be in a central position but as already mentioned under the floor boards in cupboard will always be the first place to look, likewise with downstairs.

Cheers.

Not all systems have manifolds. Of those that do, the manifold is generally in the middle of the house somewhere, sometimes in an airing cupboard. It's more a case of searching than anything else, are there any cupboards it could be hidden in etc. Sometimes manifolds are buried under floorboards and the only way to get at them is to pull carpet and boards up.

Why do you need access to it anyway?

Thank you so much for writing back. Our system is a two pipe system ( I think - I dont know anything about CH systems - but saw this on the computer) there is one pipe going in from one side and another coming out from the other side. One has the dial with numbers 1 to 5 and * setting and on the other side the pipe just has a grey plastic covering. OUr system was flushed some years ago but now few radiators are cold or some partially cold and there is brown water in some and clear in other rads. and we have been told to find the manifolds to get them cleaned or else there is nothing anyone can do about it. The overflow pipe throws out brown/rust coloured water when the system is switched on (not right away but after sometime). Also when hot water is switched on the radiators come on too. There is an immersion heater on the landing and the boiler is downstairs in the utility room (utility room has tiles). Anymore suggestions appreciated. Also don't know what 'manifolds' are supposed to look like?

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that the pipework to your radiators is in micro bore (normally 8 or 10mm) so that is why you are assuming you have manifolds?

If this is the case then as muggles says the manifold for upstairs will normally feed the upstairs radiators, it will more than likely be in a central position but as already mentioned under the floor boards in cupboard will always be the first place to look, likewise with downstairs.

Cheers.

We have plastic pipes. I am not sure what size they are. I am assuming nothing... We have been told by the company that did the flush initially that they will not do another flush till we find the manifolds - hence we are looking for manifolds. We have been told to rip up the floor boards near the radiators and start going backwards to find the manifolds.

muggles";p="1614471 said:

Why do you need access to it anyway?[/quote

I have another question for you... If manifolds are so important in the running of central heating they would be placed where they can be accessed so under tiles would not be a good idea - correct...

The manifolds can be ANYWHERE on the system. Depends where the original installer felt was ok to fit. Generally downstairs, not more than 10ft from boiler unless large house. Upstairs, within 3 ft of risers. Usually 3 cut boards where they are. A single set of manifolds feeds 4 rads. Here is a pic
http://www.trademate.co.uk/products...motions/promotions.asp?promocode=V:PageNo=607
or
http://www.trademate.co.uk/products...motions/promotions.asp?promocode=V:PageNo=607

There are others but i cant be bothered to look.

You say you have plastic pipe so generally speaking you may not have manifolds. How thick are the pipes at the rads? As thick as your index finger or as thick as a pencil? Thinner pipes are usually manifold.

The brown water is a symptom of (shyte) plastic pipes and a power flush will not cure it in the long term. Your "powerflush engineer" is a numpty or he would have found them in 5 minutes :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back