Manufacturers try to dodge fixing a busted boiler - advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a call today from a letting agent about a problem with a combi boiler I installed 5 months ago.

Evidently the manufacturers sent their service agents round to look at the problem (no hot water) and pronounced it an installation problem and there was nothing they could do about it.

So, I get a call from the letting agents asking me to sort it out immediately. When I found out the symptoms and response I declined to go round but did offer to take it up with the manufacturers.

The boiler is an Ariston 28Kw combi. I assume it has a blocked secondary HE and MTS are saying the system wasn't flushed. I remember this job quite well 'cos the boiler had a duff auto air vent which needed a service call. All rads were physically removed and new TRV's and lockshields fitted. The system was powerflushed, neutralised and inhibitor added.

I fit quite a lot of Aristons and am livid about this. Not only has my integrity been called into account, but I am now expected to pay to fix something that is definitely not my responsibility.

Has anyone got any advice on how to deal with this? I can quite easily prove that the system was powerflushed as the tenant was in at the time of installation and happened to be a buildings control officer, so was taking quite a keen interest in what I was doing at the time!

TIA

Sponsored Links
"Don't tell me how hard you tried, tell me your results", comes to mind.

On one recentish Ari I cleaned the dhwhe - it came out of the bottom after taking out just 2 screws. I'd be interested in what's in there.

ArtfulBodger said:
Has anyone got any advice on how to deal with this?

16 and good luck, but i think you are on a loser

you say the tenant was a bco, now who do you suppose called the letting agent with a complaint?, and why do you suppose the makers came? i am sure you offer 1 year g'tee? so why call Ariston, unless of course he wants it to go Ariston, and on, and on, Ariston

Sponsored Links
ArtfulBodger said:
The boiler is an Ariston 28Kw combi. I assume it has a blocked secondary HE and MTS are saying the system wasn't flushed. I remember this job quite well 'cos the boiler had a duff auto air vent which needed a service call. All rads were physically removed and new TRV's and lockshields fitted. The system was powerflushed, neutralised and inhibitor added.

Has anyone got any advice on how to deal with this? I can quite easily prove that the system was powerflushed as the tenant was in at the time of installation and happened to be a buildings control officer, so was taking quite a keen interest in what I was doing at the time!

TIA

hmmm.. which side of the HE is blocked?
and bigger hmmmmm... why did you remove all the rads if you did a powerflush :confused: :confused:

What was the TDS reading when the system was power flushed.

Often power flush removes the muck from bottom rib (which has to be dislodged with a rubber mallet), but muck higher up will stay in place. My experience is that the system has to be treated with DS40, power flushed along with water movement that will remove water above the base rib.

I dont know what it is with you guys and this powerflush bolllocks, I have NEVER powerflushed a system EVER, X400 for a couple of hours on a sound systems, or a week before boiler work if dirty, then flush with plain mains water with a couple of hosepipes if the system was really bad, then X100, I have NEVER EVER had a single problem with any Worcester 240, 280, 350, 24i, 24Cdi 28Cd 35 Cdi I have fitted with a blocked anything, and I have dealt with some really gunged systems, one system had been so badly installed by some waannkkers with the feed and vent that it had rotted through two glowworm Hideaways, I flushed my usual way before fitting 24Cdi, that was 4 years ago, been back to service each year and still no problems, maybe this powerflushing is CAUSING problems.

Thanks for the advice and comments, I have now spoken to MTS and gotten to the bottom of the problem.

The secondary heat exchanger was replaced by the service agents 2 months ago 'cos it was scaled up. The old boiler was a Celtic FF which must have been at least 15-18 years old and had no scale reducer fitted. The agents who know the area well (not my area) said that the water was exceptionally hard and they always fitted an in-line scale reducer on combi's. I had offered this to the landlord who declined. Anyway, they said get one fitted quick or words to that effect and no one did anything. Hence, 2 months down the line and it's scaled up again.

A manager at MTS read off the service record of the boiler for me and said that the installation was correct and there was no sign of contamination in the system and if there was, they would have refused to carry out any maintenance work.

So, it comes down to the fact that 2 months ago a part was replaced, some advice given and ignored and the MTS service agents are now blaming me for a problem that I didn't know existed. Anyway, they agreed to go out again and fix the thing which on one of them is a 15 minute job. So, now I am writing to the landlord informing her that a scale reducer must be fitted immediately.

So, long and boring post - still, live and learn :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back