Manweb and boiler cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Knock on the door and again a sales woman trying to get me to change our gas and electric supplier. This time with a difference they are offering free boiler cover.

Now my two boilers are getting on a bit. The central heating boiler has failed twice in 25 years first time transformer burnt out 20 years ago and last year the flame started to go out while on burn and I had some one to adjust flame height and clean and cross fingers been OK since.

The water heater has required many thermocouples fitted through it's 20 years life and once the gas valve stuck about 10 years ago and boiled water and forced off one of the soldered pipe fittings.

Other than that we have had very little problems and I am loathed to change them as they are so reliable.

My wife seems to think if we accept Manweb's offer all they will do if anything goes wrong is say we need a new boiler so not really worth signing up for it. Once my daughter has moved her gear out of the garage I do intend to replace both boilers with a single one reverting back to the stored hot water idea so solar heating can also be added but not this year as access in garage is very limited.

Considering age of my boilers and the fact that so little has gone wrong with them in the past what do people think about Manweb's offer. Would it help me or would they just say boiler is too old if I tried to use their services?

Sponsored Links
What boiler/ multi ppoint do you have

What they charging you for gas/ elec, no point if its twice the price of what you pay now, just so you can get "free" cover

Do they use their own staff or are they contractors?

The hot water is a Main 7 but not sure of make on central heating boiler very basic system gas valve 24vac burner and heat exchanger with cut out should water over heat.

I am sure not very efficient but only failed twice is 25 years and each time I ask about new boilers people seem to think I will not get same reliability from them.

Also can't find any auto radiator valves with time clock built in so I can change the temperature at different times of day but old system with single thermostat will do that for me. Only have radiator valves in bedrooms.

The myson delivers hot water back to boiler once fan switches off and it seems this will mess up modern boiler which measure temperature of return water to adjust flame height.

Sponsored Links
all they will do if anything goes wrong is say we need a new boiler
Ask them!
They'll very likely ask to see a recent service report/bill for both appliances before taking them on. They aren't mugs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back