Mapei Eco Prim Grip - any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used ( or would recommend using) Mapei Eco Prim Grip or similar?

I realise that tiling onto properly sound wallls is best, but my bathroom is coverd top to toe in ceramic tiles by the previous owner, so I was wondering about tiling on top to save time? The bathroom is in constant use, so anything that reduces the 'downtime' is an option.

Mapei do Eco Prim Grip, which gets good reviews it seems, but the issue is whether the old tiles underneath are stuck to the wall properly in the first place. I can try to take off a few, but that doesn't mean that they are al going to be the same.

I will be be installing large (300mm x 600mm x 10mm) porcelain tiles, floor to wall, so quite heavy.

Sponsored Links
OK, so no experience of it then? Maybe it's so bad that the question shouldn't even have been raised.

Chiselling off all the old tiles it is then....wait, my feckin' SDS drill is busted.

1. Eco Prim Grip is awesome stuff to use and offers a good key to smooth surfaces.

2. I wouldn't be using that in your situation. I'd also be ripping the existing tiles off.

Do you know what the original tiles we fixed to? i.e plaster, plasterboard, render, backer board?
How heavy are the existing tiles and adhesive per sqm?

What I'm getting at is, if its plaster, there is a 20kg weight limit. Existing tiles maybe 15kg, their adhesive a further 3kg, new adhesive 3kg, new tiles maybe 22kg..... thats more than double the allowable limit to go onto plaster. Plasterbaord 32kgs per sqm..... you're still over the limit.

There is also no telling how well the tiles are fixed. Its all very well saying the seem solid but you start putting heavy 60x30 tiles on them you may find the all come loose if there isn't sufficient coverage.

Highly recommended to strip it back completely and give yourself a blank canvas and go from there.

Good Luck :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Paul
Thanks for that. I wouldn't want to spoil the job for the sake of a bit more work and taking the old tiles off is my 'prefrerred' method ( glutton for punishment) so I'll just have to get on with it. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back