How to remove black gunge (bitumen?) from concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We removed two layers of old vinyl, and two more layers of possibly lino tiles from a solid floor in a kitchen.

Left are sizeable patches of a black gunge, might be a glue, might be bitumen, but I can't be sure. It's slightly sticky, but not everywhere.
Area is approx 14 m2 in a 1930s house, concrete floor. I don't think this was a DPM. Floor is otherwise perfectly dry.

How do I remove it before we put a levelling compound on top? Advice from a well respected local tiling shop is:
  • *Remove 'bitumen';
    *prime with Mapei Eco Prim grip,
    *use Mapei Ultraplan Renovation screed to level the subfloor
    *eventually lay sheet vinyl on top (which I bought before I knew what was going to hit me).
The shop in question was helpful up to a point, but they wouldn't take the job on, unless they do the whole job including laying and selling floor materials.

I'd appreciate some advice.

Many thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Heat gun to soften and scraper to lift it would be my first try. It might even scrape off without heat which might be less messy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back