Mapp Or Propane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always used propane in my torch. Just wondered what others use, and what the advantages are with Mapp over propane?

Presumably Mapp canisters cost more. Is the price differece worth it? Does more expensive Mapp save you money (ie, higher heat output, so less gas used)?

Sponsored Links
Mapp is a hotter flame, and better on larger pipes. 35mm 50mm ect.

Have them both to be honest but its the yella fella that come out the bag every time :eek:

Cant beat a red bottle, seconds as a hammer try that with a map bottle ;)

Sponsored Links
nothing burns the house down quicker than a primus bottle in the wrong hands.

On the old bottles hada mate have the lead safety plug shoot out on him with bottle alight .
He said frightened him to death well it is 600 hundreds times the volume coming out a wee hole , one severely burned carpet

Right. So if don't use my torch as a standby hammer, rarely solder whilst standing on my head, and don't really join anything bigger than 22mm, I'm OK sticking with propane.

Simples! ;)

3507671736_e7b0aea7a1.jpg

Oh, by the way, you'll need one of these as well.....

_815648_fire300.jpg

Also worth bearing in mind that MAPP gas combustibles are toxic.

If you look on the rotty bottles, there's a warning, that's it is know to be carcinogenic in some parts of California :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back