marble tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any body know why the marble tiles outside my shower cubicle are being eaten away by the water from the shower dripping from the glass door when the door is open? Water is fed from a combi condensing boiler. Could the water be acidic?

Sponsored Links
Obviously you have not sealed these tiles and clean up stright away.Water will affect tiles unfortunately specially marble look at HG Hagesan or lithofin sealing products

Obviously you have not sealed these tiles and clean up stright away.Water will affect tiles unfortunately specially marble look at HG Hagesan or lithofin sealing products

Yep already did that, and only a certain tile is being eroded, same effect on a leak from the radiator, so could it be acidic or alkali water?

very likely yes ,you can get some litmus paper and check out the quality of your water

I suggest you reseal your marble though,this is not one off thing it has to be done quite often,otherwise the marble will look pants .Lose its lustre and eventually the actually stone gets damaged

es marble has its natural beauty just like granite but its hardwork compared to man made materials such as porceline and quartz

Sponsored Links
Mains water in the UK should not be acidic. Illegal and all that. Chemicals are added to soft water to make it slightly alkaline. Passing through a boiler won't change this. The highly acidic condensate and combustion gases do not come into contact with the mains water passing through the boiler.

However, you don't need an acid to etch marble. Even mildly alkaline water will slowly dissolve it and a polished finish will slowly become matt. This happens faster with hot water. Some cleaning products will etch it much faster.

The solution is to seal the tiles properly. This won't prevent etching by strong acids but it will greatly reduce it.

very likely yes ,you can get some litmus paper and check out the quality of your water

I suggest you reseal your marble though,this is not one off thing it has to be done quite often,otherwise the marble will look pants .Lose its lustre and eventually the actually stone gets damaged

es marble has its natural beauty just like granite but its hardwork compared to man made materials such as porceline and quartz

Any ideas how to reseal it 'properly'. I first used Lithofin cleaner and sealer, but the tiles looked like rain water had dropped on it, even tho I had not allowed it to dry on the surface, it just appears to pool, even on my marble basin. Any better products on the market?

Mains water in the UK should not be acidic. Illegal and all that. Chemicals are added to soft water to make it slightly alkaline. Passing through a boiler won't change this. The highly acidic condensate and combustion gases do not come into contact with the mains water passing through the boiler.

However, you don't need an acid to etch marble. Even mildly alkaline water will slowly dissolve it and a polished finish will slowly become matt. This happens faster with hot water. Some cleaning products will etch it much faster.

The solution is to seal the tiles properly. This won't prevent etching by strong acids but it will greatly reduce it.

Any idea how to seal it 'properly'? again.. thanks for your advice.

Read my post again sealers are readily available from HG Hagesan and lithofin or go to local independent tile shop,they should have some professional sealers available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back