marine ply in the bathroom???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are modernizing our bathroom, the floorboards are not up for it. With it being a bathroom and hope avoiding water damage in the kitchen below, i would like to completely seal the floor. One of the ways I hope is to lay 8x4 ft marine ply sheets down 22mm. My question is :-

Is this overkill?
could i use thinner ply?
What would the right thing to do?

Sponsored Links
thank you for your comments....

obivousley this my first time ito the fold, would it be wise to use protection under this layer, such as a vapour screen ?

below is the kitchen where I have installed sunken haleogen 240 lights, not quite sure of the depth but i think its about 7inches, theres also central heating pipes.
is there a web site that provides picture or more info?

raeman

raeman said:
obivousley this my first time ito the fold, would it be wise to use protection under this layer, such as a vapour screen ?
I can't really see the point because water will always find way through anything if you're careless! A ceramic floor tiles will make the floor more waterproof.
below is the kitchen where I have installed sunken haleogen 240 lights, not quite sure of the depth but i think its about 7inches, theres also central heating pipes.
is there a web site that provides picture or more info?
Not sure what the question is?

Sponsored Links
>We are modernizing our bathroom, the floorboards are not up for it. With it being a bathroom and hope avoiding water damage in the kitchen below<

Could you clarify? Are the existing floorboards rotten? Is water getting through to the kitchen below?

I would imagine the first step is to look at bath/shower/hand basin/WC seals.
Then surely a bath mat for when you step out of the bath would be OK?

Mike

Some of the floorboards are split down their lengths; some of them were taking water damage until I'd exposed them and removed the cause, I found it expensive to replace because the thickness of the boards are below regulation. I was trying to give some backgroud info on the construction barrier between the bathroom and the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back