which timber for new floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building an extension but I'm unsure as to what flooring material to use.

I was going to lay the lot in high denisity chip board flooring but a friend has told me that I should lay in marine ply in the kitchen.

This sounds like it may be overkill to me given there will be laminate/ tiles on top.

Do I have to lay in marine ply in the kitchen or would high density chipbaord/ T&G floorboards be fine?

thanks

pyj

Sponsored Links
pyjmis10 said:
Hi,

I'm building an extension but I'm unsure as to what flooring material to use.

I was going to lay the lot in high denisity chip board flooring but a friend has told me that I should lay in marine ply in the kitchen.

This sounds like it may be overkill to me given there will be laminate/ tiles on top.

Do I have to lay in marine ply in the kitchen or would high density chipbaord/ T&G floorboards be fine?

thanks

pyj

Your friend is wise, if the washing machine floods you will need to replace the floor, as chipboard will go soggy like weetabix.

If you will be tiling then ply is a must, go for 25mm if tiling, 18mm if using vinyl/lino. Will be more expensive up front but will save loads of grief in the long run.

Marine ply is pricey, you can use standard wbp. (Weather & Boil Proof glues used)

Or you could use t&g, but will still need ply overboarding to get the floor flat for lino/tiles.

If you definately want to go the cheap route an duse chipboard then you should go for the bitumen coated type which will give it some added water protection.But if you can afford it then marine ply is best as said by Deluks

chipboard is rubbish

bargepole wouldn't touch I with it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back