Marking on 2-way light switch

"Does not matter if other wire goes to 1 or 2, although most would as default put it in 1." unless using Mk switches when putting it in 1 will mean the light on with switch "up" and scolmore is the other way round DAMHIKT
The one in my original 2nd pic (with L, 1 and 2) is MK. I wired it up with L being com and 1 being L1 and the switch with turn light on when pressign the switch down.

I have now a complication in the stairs where one 2 way + one intermediate are upstairs and one 2 way is downstairs, all controlling one light on the stairs. The two switches upstairs work ok, as soon as I wire up the switch downstairs (2 way, with L being com, 1 being L1 of the old switch and 2 being L2 of the old switch) the RCA for the downstairs lighting trips... And I believe I kept the same connections and wiring as in the old 3 sockets previously installed... Will ponder...

Sponsored Links
Do you have pics of the backs of all the old switches?

Here is a pic of the old intermediate switch and a pic of one of the old 2 way switches (the 2nd pic has the 2 way switch wired up as a 1 way but that is a light switch in another location - it gives an example of the old 2 way switch I originally had).

The new intermediate switch has L3 and L4 for the bottom connections, instead of L1 and L2, and I assumed L3 to be a 2nd L1 and L4 being a 2nd L2.

The new intermediate switch works well together with the upstairs new 2-way switch. It is the downstairs 2-way switch that is causing the problem. I might try and invert L1 and L2 in the downstairs switch. Or just connect L / COM in the downstairs switch and see if that alone causes an issue (wouldn't have thought so).

Attachments

• 20221229_203436.jpg
    20221229_203436.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20221219_130608.jpg
    20221219_130608.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 31

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back