Marking on 2-way light switch

nbr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am replacing some old 2-way light switches (first pic attached) with new 2-way light switches (second pic attached).

I am slightly confused about terminal 1 in the new switch being close to "L" (i.e. common), given that the layout of the old switch is different. Also, the wiring diagram printed on the new switch shows a connection to 2, whereas the old switch had a connection into 1 / L1. Shall I connect the new switch like for like but following the wiring diagram printed on the new switch, i.e. what went to common in the old switch goes to L in the new switch and want went to L1 in the old switch goes to 2 in the new switch?

Attachments

• 20221219_130608.jpg
    20221219_130608.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 20221223_144018.jpg
    20221223_144018.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
with both switches up, the light will be off.
And the Americans do it the other way round. I wonder who is right; them or us ..

I changed to using push switches so I didn't have to decide (and also, you don't end up with all switches down and the light off, in a 2 way)

Maybe a bit obsessive, but I find it convenient, to set the strappers of each two-way, so that with both switches up, the light will be off.
What has that got to do with the OPs question? He has no strappers, he is using it as a one way switch.

And the Americans do it the other way round. I wonder who is right; them or us ..
We are told that down should be off so that anything falling one the switch will turn it off not on.
Maybe a bit obsessive, but I find it convenient, to set the strappers of each two-way, so that with both switches up, the light will be off.
But today with smart relays this can change, the relay detects a change of state, so switches can be off or on, and a signal from Phone or Google Nest Mini in my case will still turn lights off or on, so it hardly matters if switches are up or down as it will change anyway day to day.
What has that got to do with the OPs question? He has no strappers, he is using it as a one way switch.
Good point, and also as to if 1 or 2 should be used, depends on which way up the switch is mounted, so as long as L has one wire in it, it will work. Does not matter if other wire goes to 1 or 2, although most would as default put it in 1.

"Does not matter if other wire goes to 1 or 2, although most would as default put it in 1." unless using Mk switches when putting it in 1 will mean the light on with switch "up" and scolmore is the other way round DAMHIKT

In college we have spring loaded rocker switches wired the 'American' way. i.e. push up and release to turn on, push down and release to turn off.

Lost count of how many times we would get a call from new teachers to say their lights aren't working. Also, because they are on motion sensors, they would turn off if they detected no movement within 30 minutes. Teachers would complain they had to walk from their desk to the door, (in the dark during winter), to switch them back on. I then explained to them to look to their left/right and simply flick the switches there.
Once they were all aware of how to use them it made life a little quieter for me. Sadly, we have a new influx of teachers starting in January so I will need to show them how things work.

In college we have spring loaded rocker switches wired the 'American' way. i.e. push up and release to turn on, push down and release to turn off.

Lost count of how many times we would get a call from new teachers to say their lights aren't working. Also, because they are on motion sensors, they would turn off if they detected no movement within 30 minutes. Teachers would complain they had to walk from their desk to the door, (in the dark during winter), to switch them back on. I then explained to them to look to their left/right and simply flick the switches there.
Once they were all aware of how to use them it made life a little quieter for me. Sadly, we have a new influx of teachers starting in January so I will need to show them how things work.
School I work in and a major refurb five years ago, lots of rooms with sensors & retractive switches, lost count of the ones I have had to fit conventional on off switches & disconnect the sensor

School I work in and a major refurb five years ago, lots of rooms with sensors & retractive switches, lost count of the ones I have had to fit conventional on off switches & disconnect the sensor
We had some very poorly installed occupancy sensors in a LT.
We sometimes need to turn all lights off for presentations (i.e. displaying dark astronomical images).
The problem wasn't necessarily the sensor turning off the lights at the wrong time, but blinding everyone, turning on the lights to full brightness if anyone so much as sneezed! :LOL:

They have their uses, but in very limited circumstances. I have just one fitted in the house, that in my utility room, where the washer, big freezer. It is also the route to the pantry. Often you enter or leave, with hands/arms occupied - very conveniently, as you walk in, the light goes on and remains on until you leave, then switches it off. Everything else, has wall switches, except of bedside table lights, which have torpedo type switches on their flexes - the switches are bluetacked to the tables, so the switches are always in the same place/easy to find in the dark.

Handy in a bathroom/wc too; no need to touch the lightswitch that the previous occupant smeared faeces all over :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back