marks out of ten

J

josey

i have finally finished my power shower installation and would appriciate you guys checking i haven't made any mistakes....

6a mcb in cu, protected by 30ma rccb

2.5mm t+e from cu to fcu in airing cupboard, fcu fused at 3amp

2.5mm from fcu to 16amp dp pull switch in zone 3 in bathroom,from pull switch to shower, again in 2.5mm

All exposed metalwork in bathroom supplementary bonded in 4mm, this is run to an earth connection block in the attic. 2.5mm earth from light pull switch cpc, and also 2.5mm from shower pull switch cpc both connected to earth block in attic.

I wanted to make sure i had a decent earth bond to the shower, so i have also run a 4mm earth from the earth terminal on the shower back to the earth connection block in the attic, where all the other supplementary bonding is connected.

I also had the idea of running a 4mm earth from the earth block i have put in the attic back to the earth terminal of the fcu in the airing cupboard, this would ensure i have good bonding to the cpc of the shower, i am always a but wary of the small earth terminals in pull switches, and if the cpc were to come detached it the switch, then the earth connection is lost to the shower, at least if i run a 4mm to the earth point in the fcu and to the earth block in the attic and then to the shower, i have two earth paths, one from the cpc in the supply cables and one by the bonding.

as i said, thought i haven't yet run this extra earth as i wasn't sure about the regs as the fcu is outside the bathroom zones.

sorry its long winded but would appreciate comments, especially on weather i can run this extra bond back to the fcu, thanks.

Sponsored Links
You should link all extraneous conductive parts AND cpc's of circuits within the bathroom with a 4mm2 earth unbroken. You can only use 2.5mm2 if it is mechanically protected.

It does not matter where you connect the bonding (at the switch, appliance or jb etc) as long as you connect each circuit cpc within the bathroom to each other and the bathroom metalwork.

RCCB implies your supply equipment is elderly, although this is not necessarily a problem in itself.

securespark said:
You should link all extraneous conductive parts AND cpc's of circuits within the bathroom with a 4mm2 earth unbroken.
Josey - please note that "exposed metalwork" is not necessarily an extraneous-conductive-part, and that if it isn't, bonding it makes things worse, not better.....

Sponsored Links
yes, i think i am clear on that, wouldn't bond a towel rail on wall etc, or taps that were plumbed in plastic pipe, i have however bonded to the earth terminal of our power shower, which is run in plastic pipe, but i am asumming this is needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back