mechanically protected

J

josey

what denotes mechanically protected when choosing cable sizes, i.e. 4mm earth for supplementary bonding, or 2.5mm if mechanically protected, would say running the cable in an attic space where access is restricted qualify as protected or does it have to be run ic trunking etc

Sponsored Links
mechanical protection is nothing to do where it is run, but what is physically protecting the cable. i.e. conduit

i have run 2.5mm supplementary bonding for my light in the bathroom, because 4mm was tight in the the pull switch, it isn't run in any conduit or trunking etc, but is run in the attic where it is safe from anyone disturbing it, is this ok

Sponsored Links
Grey outer sheathing counts as mechanical protection, as in 6242Y, generally called 'twin and earth'. but the cable you are talking about is single-insulated 6491X, designed to be run in conduit, trunking, etc. So the others are right. Sadly, I've never heard of green/yellow sleeved cable with outer sheathing, which would be perfect for the job.

However, as 90% of the properties I see daily have no supplementary bonding whatsoever and 2.5sqmm is considered sufficient 'electrically' you're way ahead of the field. If this was my house I'd be happy enough with that.

dingbat said:
2.5sqmm is considered sufficient 'electrically'
Sorry to be picky but unless you have TT all supp. bonding needs to be 4mm. (Table 10a/b of the osg if memory is right)

Regulation 547-03-03

2.5mm^2 if sheathed or mechanically protected
4.0mm^2 is no mechanical protection.

brown-nought said:
dingbat said:
Sorry to be picky but unless you have TT all supp. bonding needs to be 4mm. (Table 10a/b of the osg if memory is right)

I refer you to the answer given by SwindonSpark. ;)

brown-nought said:
dingbat said:

A TT supply is not relevent when choosing the correct size supplementary bonding cables. Main equipotential bonding, yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back