Masking off large sections outside

ODB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm currently in the process of a particularly messy job - stripping the paint from the brickwork on the front of a house, which involves pressure-washing melted/liquified paint and strong chemicals off the wall. It's a pain to control where the spray is going and I need to effectively 'mask off' the next door neighbours walls.

See pic below for an idea:
09062010073209.png

Does anyone have any ideas/tips on how I could protect the neighbours' property? Will duck tape and a polythene sheet be suitable?

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest plywood screwed to the neighbours wall at a right angle to the wall (about 1" from the existing paint line. You could then use Duck tape to ensure the spray doesn't go under any gap onto their clean wall. Poly sheet wont stand up to the pressure washer. If you screw in 3 or 4 right angle steel brackets to their mortar (rather than the bricks), it will be a quick job filling the holes after you've completed the job.

You'll obviously have to have a chat with them first, but seeing as you'll be protecting their brickwork they shouldn't have a problem - well, I wouldn't if you asked me!

cheers,

Charles.

Thanks for the tip!

I did something pretty similar - I bought some 250mu polythene sheeting from eBay (for about £35 from these guys). Also used some Gorilla Duck Tape from Screwfix which had pretty good adhesion to brick.

I basically masked off the neighbours bottom floor, using the Gorilla tape like masking tape. I also used the polythene to protect the floor.

img0080q.jpg

On the other side of the house I used a long, spare bit of MDF to hold the sheeting upright against the neighbours' porch, and screwed it in so the wind couldn't move it.

All in all, I spent about 2 hours masking up and saved myself hoursmore of cleaning up and apologies to the neighbours.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back