Masonry fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

On a big ass contract on high rise flats quick query at the moment am using plugs and screws or hammer fixings to fix 2x1" to concrete walls . There is a **** load to do and am looking to speed up the fixing process have used the spit single fire gun with the caps and nails but seen the new ones they have brought out are gas and a battery just wondering if anyone has used one before I fork out £600 on one a think it's the p700 that a was looking at? Or if anyone has any other suggestions as to a rapid way of fixing to concrete ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
What does the specification say, as nails may not be suitable

I don't think gas is as powerful as gunpowder for concrete penetration, unless the technology has moved on - and the p700 seems to be for light duty cables and trunking

Thanks

Spec says for fixing drywall systems and timber up to 28mm thick as the max nail size u can get us 40mm. The gun powder ones seem to take longer and usually are too heavy for fixing 2x1" ..
Was just on the off chance anyone had used one it looks the same as the one I think I have checked out but a may have been wrong this is the one I am thinking of getting https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/itwp700p/itw-spit-pulsa-700p-nail-gun-2nd-battery-free-ochargef-/ let ne know what u think thanks!

I meant that you need to check what your contract specification says, as nail fixing for medium or heavy loads or for certain other situations is not appropriate

It looks like this gun is for light duty fixings only. You may need to speak to a rep or something.

If 40mm is the maximum nail size for this gun, then that only leaves a 15mm fixing for your 2x1. And if the fist 10mm or so of the concrete is soft or shatters, then that's no fixing at all. That assumes that it will shoot in the maximum depth in the first place

Sponsored Links
Sorry my mistake no there is no specification on the contract and there is hardly any weight bearing down on the fixings all light 6mm ply ,a have seen a thing called the hilti gx120 but again this looks like it's for light fixings . To be honest a think the answer is hammer fixings if a was sure about these nail guns a probally wouldn't be doubting or Havjng to search so hard to see proof of their workings !if only masonary nails where of any damn use!

Yes, £500 and a maybe for what, 15 seconds per [2.4m] batten?

Or your existing SDS and 30 seconds per batten with hammer fix?

Also if you need to pack these out for plumb or line, then screws are better

Could you not hire one of each (a Pulsa and a proper cartridge gun) to have a go and weigh it all up

Yes u are right time wise per Batten it ain't alot but over the next year am planning on using about 600m of timber so it all adds up and less dust and stour as well . A went along ur idea of hiring both out n asked the guy instore about it he happily send a rep out with both the hilti gx120 and the single fire cap one and as much as the single fire is alot more powerful and can take up to a 60+nail the 40mm nails went a good 5mm into the 2x1" and over 3m 8 shots and it was solid! Tbh was pretty Impressed easy lightweight and really quick! Only downside is that for a box of 40mm nails with 750 nails it's £130 but the boss can pick up that tab! U should check out the hilti if u ever need anything like this . Thanks for the help!

the boss o_O

If i were you buddy i would stick with your plugs and screws cuz ye aint getting what you have been told ye r getting and make sure he gets the rounds in every time you see the fat fook!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back