Masonry paint epic fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I’d really appreciate any advice from the experts on this one. I’ve self built a 2 storey extension and the front elevation is rendered and painted with sandtex smooth white masonry paint.
When first painted, 3 weeks after rendering in November, it was fine. Recently I found a single patch where the paint bubbled and came off.
I thought not great but left it alone to plan to paint over it when the weather improves.
Today (after cold snowy spell) the weathers warmed up a lot, but I’ve noticed large areas mainly at the lower half of the wall where the paints come away and bubbled.
I’m absolutely gutted as I built the entire thing myself and the painted render was supposed to be a wow factor, and is now coming off and will look terrible.
I’d really appreciate any advice on where I went wrong, I suspect I didn’t give the render (2 coat sand cement) enough time to dry before painting, and also how best to fix this , scrape the bubbles patches off, let it dry in warmer weather and repaint? Or any other product I could use.
I didn’t stabilise the new render, just brushed it down and painted 3 coats over a weekend.
Thanks for reading, all thoughts appreciated, pics attached

Attachments

• BAFF84D9-8D7D-4E77-AC89-97275DC0CCD2.jpeg
    BAFF84D9-8D7D-4E77-AC89-97275DC0CCD2.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 193
  • A6F8C650-9B81-42F5-BF15-632E2CF13C3D.jpeg
    A6F8C650-9B81-42F5-BF15-632E2CF13C3D.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 250
  • B8A9D919-4C93-4B09-BAE8-454E8DB30B2A.jpeg
    B8A9D919-4C93-4B09-BAE8-454E8DB30B2A.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 249
Sponsored Links
Three weeks is not long enough to dry out especially in winter time. A few things, did you mistcoat it?, this is essential on new render. Did you put waterproofing in the second render?, you should only waterproof the scratch coat. I would leave it until the weather warms/dries up a bit before doing anything else, then remove any loose and flaking paint, mistcoat the bare patches with slightly thinned (10% water) masonry paint, and apply two full coats allowing enough time to fully dry between coats.

Cheers for the reply
I didn’t mist coat, I am sure the sandtex instructions didn’t say to either
But I’m sure you’re right that it’s a good idea to do it, I’m just a bit miffed that I followed the manufacturer instructions (I think) but got it wrong
Yep only the scratch had waterproofer in
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back