Masonry Sill disaster - Need help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am pretty meticulous when researching how to DIY jobs but this one has been stumped and annoyed.

I stripped our external masonry sills down to the concrete/cement. The paint was flaking badly. The method I used was just hard graft with a chisel, wire brush and sandpaper.

The problem occurred when painting. Now after a days rain there is a bad yellow/brown stain and lots of bubbling.

After initial research I was debating about whether to put a primer on and decided not to. The concrete was not dusty and it had been previously painted.

Before I painted the surface I brushed any dust and dirt away. I thin thinned down dulux weathershield as instructed on the tin. After 4 hours I put on a non-thinned second coat. The sill had over 10 hours to dry. Now after a bit of bad weather the bubbling and staining has appeared.

Please help me do this right. Second time lucky!

Many thanks,
C

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back