Massive lime buildup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I'm having an issue at the moment that keeps stopping my shower from working properly. All of a sudden I'm getting buildup of (what I assume is) lime. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the following questions?

• Is it lime in the picture?
  • What might be causing this to suddenly happen, and in such large quantities?
  • Is this the sort of thing a water softener can fix?

Sponsored Links
Where are you finding the material in the photo?

To check if it's limescale try putting it in vinegar - if it dissolves there's a reasonable chance that it's limescale

How long does it take to build up that amount of stuff? Is your system fed directly from a combi or is there a tank in the loft that stuff could be falling in?

Sponsored Links
The stuff in the photo is in the shower bar - built up around the thermostatic cartridge but I've found it blocking the inlet valves to the shower bar itself. It's a relatively new shower - like I said this seems to be a sudden thing, though, we're in a hardwater area.

The system is fed from a modern combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back