Massive noice when flushing the toilet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am sorry, this may sound a stupid mail as this may be a very obvious issue. However I do not know what to do and someone may help me with this.

When our toilet is flushed there is a massive noice comes from the cistern, at the same time,much bigger noice is coming from the tank above the ceiling. When I opened the cistern,I could see some membrane like thing inside, through which water flows to the cistern. I am clueless, as you may have guessed!

We no longer use the toilet at night, otherwise would be waking up entire neighbourhood!

Can someone let me know what's wrong and what I should be doing?

Much appreciate anyones help in this matter.

Regards,

Jay :oops:

Sponsored Links
a massive noice comes from the cistern, at the same time,much bigger noice is coming from the tank...
What kind of 'Massive Noise' Jay? I mean does it play 'Bat Out of Hell' everytime you flush?... Sorry but it would help if you provided more info on the kind of noise. Is it banging, rumbling, squealing, etc etc?
When I opened the cistern, I could see some membrane like thing inside, through which water flows to the cistern.
Are you referring to the membrane within the Syphon? The Syphon (within your cistern) has a membrane. It is used to provide the syphoning effect in order to flush your loo. So that is normal (if we are talking about the same membrane).

If its a plastic ball valve in the cistern it'll be the diaphram in the float valve. The rubber stiffens up over the years and vibrates when the water passes through the valve. Probably sound a lot like a trombone:) .
You will pick up these washers at any shed unless it is a torbeck valve which is slightly different. Turn off the water to the cistern and undo the large knurlled nut at the end of the float arm closest to the valve and there should be a 2pence sized washer underneath. Take it out and to a shed to get the right thing.
Hope this helps,

Or better still throw the plastic rubbish away and but a brass one. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks mates, it sounds exactly like a trombone, shall try to dismantle it, if stuck need help again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back