Mast Head Amplifiers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I have enclosed a sketch of two scenarios to install my mast head amplifier in the loft, in an effort to boost the weak signal from the loft aerial.

Figure 1 shows the conventional method, and figure 2 the method I am going to employ. As I can see it the only difference is that in 1, the PSU (Power supply unit for the mast head amp, is between the UHF lounge wall socket downstairs and the TV, where it is supposed to energise the amp in the loft by sending the power back up the coaxial connection from the loft

In 2, the PSU is mounted up in the loft BEFORE the wall socket down in the lounge, but should achieve the same thing.

In essence if you remove the UHF wall socket from each diagram they are the same, so should this not work OK or am I overlooking something?

Perhaps not having the PSU close to the mast head amp is a reason though I cant see why my method wont work OK? I have mounted the mast head amp no closer than a metre to the loft aerial itself, as generally recommended though.

Any help appreciated.

Here is the sketch of the two options

ampwiring.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes fig2 should work. Fig1 is recommended as many lofts do not have a 13a socket fitted.

Yes fig2 should work. Fig1 is recommended as many lofts do not have a 13a socket fitted.

OK thanks. I have just fitted a socket in the loft for this very reason so hopefully it will all work OK once I have made all the connections to the amp and PSU.

Sponsored Links
In response to another thread I started entitled "switch problems" I am going to cut of the plug to the PSU and wire it into a 3a fused FCU so as to provide some element of protection and to prevent anyone else plugging in something inappropriate with respect to the load rating of the circuit which provides power to the socket in the loft. If anyone else wishes to comment on the mast head amplifier issue ...please do!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back