Mastic Horror!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I've just started re-decorating my bathroom and i've run into a problem. Under the hideous carpet (Now removed and ritually burnt) were some equally hideous 'institution green' vinyl tiles. Under those is the source of the problem:

A layer of ancient mastic over the concrete.

Now i've spoken to the chap at B&Q and he's said theres no way to lay ceramic tiles directly over this.

Ideally i need to remove the mastic, although an hours work with a heat gun has seen me clear about 2 square inches.

Can any of you guys reccomend a way forward on this? Either for mastic removal or something I can lay straight over the top?

Cheers,

ANDY

Sponsored Links
Dependent on how solid the vinyl adhesive is, you may be able to tile straight onto it, after all it does seem to be stuck fast using a single part flexible adhesive. The other alternative would be to put a latex levelling compound over the top of it and then tile onto that

get an angle grinder to it scouring , or you can use bal floor Levelling Compound,which is quick setting ...

I would try scouring it off ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back