Match Existing; Windows & Glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to do a rear extension. But I don't like my current windows (diamond shaped leaded glass in steel 1930's casement frames).

1. Can the current glass be changed (under PD). e.g. if I remove the diamond leaded single pane (4mm) can I replace with unleaded double glazing (4-6-4mm)?

2. If I do this prior to submission of a Planning Application can this be regarded as 'existing' for the purposes of materials to match 'existing building'.

i.e. Council usually make application conditional on "All new works and works of making good to the retained fabric shall be finished to resemble in size, colour, texture and profile those of the existing building."

What I would like to do is replace the front/side glazing now, then apply for planning for a rear extension, so that when this is built I can match the rear to the new front.

Sponsored Links
The requirement will be to match whatever windows are in the house when the extension is complete, not what's there now.

You can change your glass whenever you like. Same for the frames. Unless there are specific planning restrictions.

Are you in a conservation area, or similar? Is the building listed?

FWIW, If you have windows like that, I would suspect that you were in a conservation area/listed building!

Sponsored Links
I am in the Greenbelt (Surrey), but not listed or in a Conservation area.

Leaded windows are pretty common around these parts. Think it is (IMO) probably because a lot of the building was done in the 30's (Chown Arts & Craft style) when they were popular.

Thanks Woody - so in effect they want the new part of the building to match the rest of the building (and are not concerned with the type of windows or glazing used for both parts).

I.e using 'existing' to define a 'space' rather than a 'time'.

They are not great with language - in the PD guidance 'existing' refers to *as it existed* before any development implying that matching existing would need to match from both a space and time perspective. I.E. match the windows from the rest of the property in the style immediately before starting work.

From technical Guidance:
"Existing” - means a building as it existed immediately before any permitted development (eg a house extension) is undertaken.​

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back