Matchboarding a kitchen ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an elevated kitchen ceiling with king trusses and multi-foil insulation with 35mm counter battens - I was thinking of using matchboarding or similar T&G boards on top of a single layer of plasterboard (for some additional sound proofing).

Will I have to add furring strips between the T&G and plasterboard? T&G could be pine or laminate, not sure which to use yet.

Sponsored Links
It would help to have a section view, from interior coverings to exterior coverings, of what you have in place at the moment. And a pic.

Do you have common rafters above your truss rafter top chords?

Are you soundproofing against rain or something else?

If you research here and on google you will find that sound proofing is a pretty fraught proposition.

It would help to have a section view, from interior coverings to exterior coverings, of what you have in place at the moment. And a pic.

Do you have common rafters above your truss rafter top chords?

Are you soundproofing against rain or something else?

If you research here and on google you will find that sound proofing is a pretty fraught proposition.

It's a small single storey barn conversion - the roof section from inside to out consists of: 50x35 counter battens, multi-foil insulation, 100x50 rafters at 400 centres, breathable mebrane, roof laths, pantiles. The completed part of the barn has two layers of plasterboard with staggered joints, which is far from being sound proof, but the extra layer makes a huge difference compared to the neighbour's single layer.

The common rafters sit above the king truss' principle rafter - so that all of the truss is visible with a gap of roughly 80mm between the principle rafter and the ceiling surface.

Sound proofing is principally against rain and farm machinery - especially during harvest.

As matchboarding alone would provide about as much sound proofing as a shed roof, I thought a layer of plasterboard behind the cladding would be a cost effective solution and give a similar level of sound proofing to the rest of the house.

Well, your proposition is doable in a building sense, but whether it would provide much extra sound proofing i dont know?

Typically, air gaps between insulation are claimed to be the best SP'ing detail. But i would be cautious about installing unvented space in a roofing detail.

My two cents is only from a general contractors point of experience - i make no claims to SP'ing expertise.

Sponsored Links
Well, your proposition is doable in a building sense, but whether it would provide much extra sound proofing i dont know?

Sound proofing isn't really my main concern - I just assumed that I can't fit matchboarding or T&G directly to the counter rafters without first fitting a solid surface. Plasterboard seemed an obvious choice, but I'm not sure if I should create an air gap between the board and T&G

If it is acceptable to fix the matchboarding directly to the counter rafters then I might as well just do that. It would certainly save a lot of hassle.

A kitchen is high risk wherever it is
I don't really see that a T&G ceiling in a single storey dwelling fitted with a relevant smoke detector, in a room that's at least 10m from any bedroom is a safety issue, or is adding any further 'risk' - all I wanted to know was whether I need to use furring strips when applying T&G over plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back