suspended ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm thinking of lowering my ceiling in my kitchen which is about 4m *3m by fitting a suspended ceiling using a light weight tongue and groove and fitting four downlighters in it.
my question is ,what is the best way to fit the framework to fix the t & g to,i was thinking of 3x2 roughsawn timber fixed with screws around the perimeter of the walls and additional beams of 3x2 across the room at 18 inch intervals.will this be o.k. or would some support from the cross beams to the ceiling be advisable? i am lowering the ceiling by about 1ft.
any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You are right with your method but instead of fixing the wall plates with screws I would advise using Rawlbolts, something like M8 X 120mm and then fixing 2" wide timber to timber joist hangers to carry the ceiling studs. Fix the wall plates along the 4 metre lengths so your ceiling joists are 3 metres long and with the 18" centres you won't need any additional support from above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back