Matching existing paint colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to spruce up a hallway which is a moderate shade of yellow and I quite like the colour and also want to avoid repainting the whole hallway again. It was painted before I moved here so I have no way of knowing what paint it was.

What is the inside scoop on matching existing paint? It is only the walls I am trying to match as the ceiling is white throughout.

I have obviously read about and some people have had success with taking a small sample and going to homebase/b@q for of places and getting one mixed up but the results are usually mixed in terms of the finish.

I just want to know if there's anything I should know/what's the best way to approach this ?

Sponsored Links
Its going to be difficult to find the colour. If i was you i'd go to the nearest 'seller of paint' to your house as its more than likely thats where the previous owner went, grab every colour card and offer them up against the wall. Choose the nearest three colours, get small sample pots and try them on a piece of lining paper. Tape the lining paper in different areas in different lights.

As for the paint matching thing, i think some DIY stores do it, but not sure if they can off of a chip of paint from the wall.

Dulux Decorator Centre`s do a matching service,
The only thing is that the walls have been painted for some time so the paint colour would have toned down naturaly so you will not get a perfect match,
You will have to paint a complete wall to blend in with rest of decor, even then it may show.

In the end its probably best to repaint the whole hallway,

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys I bought a new yellow paint instead and repainted the walls.

I used something called contract trade silk (buttermilk) is the colour.

Not sure if I like it, it reflects better than the other standard matt emulsions I've used but for hallway walls I'm not absolutely happy with the choice. It's reflected more of the defects (knew this would happen) although I'm going to sand and make good anyway, I'm just not sure if I like the sticky look of it, 2 tubs of 10L for £30 they were cheap at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back