Matching existing render

Sponsored Links
It looks like an old type of wet dash. Is this internal or external? I have seen old render onto wooden lath in an outside situation, but very rarely.
Anyway, back to topic. No matter what you do to that area of wall, it'll always look like a patch,

thats a v poor job of render.

the high exposed position and wrng kind of paint have alloweed moisture to get below the surface an probly rot or loosen the laths.
any sins of internal damp?
looks like previous repairs have been tried.
the string course ledge might be flashed but its v flat an probly holds water.
best practice would be to hack it all off and redo without any laths.

Thanks both. It's external. There's no indication yet of any damp inside. You can see in the photos that I stuck some silicone in the cracks last summer, but the crack's got bigger since then. The paint is Weathershield, which has been there for at least 10 years. I've no idea what was there before.

I've done some more investigating, and found that there's definitely some coarse aggregate in the render. Does that mean it's not tyrolean?

If I do try and patch it (rather than get someone else in to redo the whole wall), can anyone suggest any advice on the best way to go about it?

Thanks,
Adam

Sponsored Links
the crack expansion might be soly due to the timber piece moving. have any cracks or lumpy lines under wallpaper shown up inside the house?if not andgiven its a solid wall, then the cracking is render/surface stuff.
what is that timber piece?
the renders not Tyrolean its as someone said above a wet dash.
its got v. heavy coats of paint.

as i said patching wont work but its your call.

As Bobasd said, patching that would be a waste of time, it would probably end up looking worse than it does now, sorry to say. You could remove the whole lot back to brick/stone, see what you've got, and take it from there.
That would be your ultimate choice, but before you think of doing that, you could get the opinion of a local recommended builder/plasterer, who could look at the job as a whole, in "real time", and get his opinion. Keep us up to date anyway Adam, and good luck to you.

Cheers. There are no issues inside and I'm not too worried that it's a structural problem, but I suppose equally it would be nicer to fix now than if a big chunk falls off in the middle of winter! I'll have a think about it.

Adam

P.S. The timber in the picture is a bit of window frame I'm in the process of making good. The blown plaster is below it. The render is on timber laths, not masonry.

are you sayin that youve got timber framing ie a stud wall only, no masonry behind the render an the laths are pinned to the studding?

in that case this might need a bit more attention.
laths would have had no felt behind them so the framing could be at risk of rotting.
can you look inside that wal somehow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back