Matching point colour advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a section of pointing I need to repair and I was wondering how I would match the colour of the existing work. The existing pointing on the whole house is quite soft and can be scraped with finger nail (house is 30 years old and all houses in road same). This is by the front door so it needs to be quite a good job/match. I have very little experience with re-pointing so if anyone has some tips/mixing ratios I would be grateful.

Is this a first time pointing job or should I get a pro in?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A pro in London would charge you about £20 an inch for that little job ;) . Problem is getting building sand / cement in such a small quantity - Do Not get a ready mixed dry bag from a DIY shed ! . You might find some , if you do go for a 6:1 sand cement ( that`s about what will have been used ) Actually , have a google / look @ the building sticky here for more details on repointing . ;) Main thing to do is look on t`net for " Liquid Weather " it`s a really good product that does blend in new/old brick + pointing - I`ve used it on my house :idea: then blend in the pointing with that

It looks like part of it has been over pointed at sometime before, i'm guessing it looks like a 5-1 mix. Looks a bit sandy for a standard 4-1 mix.

You need to get hold of a small quantity of yellow building sand and an even smaller quantity of cement. Mix a 5-1 together and let it go off, check the colour.

Remember, a 5-1 mix could be thimble full of each or a 5 gallon bucket of each. It's not the quantity your interested in it's the ratio/colour.

If to dark add more sand...if to light cut back on the sand...you should get the idea pretty quickly.

Once you're happy with the mix/colour get a cheap trowel and a cheap pointing trowel and CAREFULLY fill the joints as required, allow to go off for a while (1/2 hour maybe more) and lightly brush over with an old (dry & clean) paint brush.....that's it, job done.

A pro (as you put it) would either charge a load or laugh and do it for nothing as it would take about 2 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back