material for wooden ladder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: I suppose it's wood really. But which kind of wood? I need to make a ladder, not standard size. I've got all the measurements, angles the steps are to the vertical supports, etc. I need to know the best kind of wood to use, nothing too expensive though. It's being used to gain access to a mini kind of loft. Thanks for any help. :)

Sponsored Links
Almost any wood will do if it's thick enough.

You haven't said what length you need, why not buy one one? There are regulations for ladders.

noseall said:

Have you tried to buy any lately ;) , hard enough to find sufficient for a hammer shaft let alone a ladder. :(

Them main thing to watch will be that there are no large knots or defects bin the wood which will weaken the timber. A good quality redwood or paranah pine should do the job.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Hickory 12,000 baord feet available. More than enough for a far too expensive ladder.

oilman said:
Hickory 12,000 baord feet available. More than enough for a far too expensive ladder.

Pennsylvania is a bit far to go for a bit of wood ;) very little in the UK

Jason

when you say "mini kind of loft."

is it for a perminant ladder thats fixed into a raised bed area or mezamine level or a temporary put away ladder!!!! :rolleyes:

Jasonb said:
Pennsylvania is a bit far to go for a bit of wood ;) very little in the UK

Jason

That's seems a bit defeatist. Ash would give a very similar product.

:( sorry guys couldn't respond earlier, been away. Not looking for wood I must add. It's for a kind of raised bed area, support lengths are approx 6ft 6'' long. thanks for the time and effort with your replies. Really appreciate it. :)

heeelllooo welcome back :D :D :D

bit confused your first post refers to "what wood "
now you say your" not looking for wood"!!!!!!

now i am assuming that means you have the material sussed and are looking for construction ideas!!!!

Liamondo said:
:?: I suppose it's wood really. But which kind of wood? I need to make a ladder, not standard size. I've got all the measurements, angles the steps are to the vertical supports, etc. I need to know the best kind of wood to use, nothing too expensive though. It's being used to gain access to a mini kind of loft. Thanks for any help. :)

So exactly did you want? Or are you a wind up?

:( nope no wind up. What I actually said was
been away. Not looking for wood I must add
. Which means I couldn't respond earlier because I was away. But I wasn't away looking for wood. Sorry to confuse you all. The info you guys have given has been helpful, thanks and have a happy new year :)

happy new year Liamondo :D :D :D

the lack of responce is because we still arent shure exactly what you want !!!!!!!

the more information the better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back