How to calculate weight of wooden joists.

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello,

For an exam assignment I have to calculate an entire construction in wood, for this I need to know what the weight (in kN/m³) of joists is.

In my assignment I use I-joist of 90mm wide and 360mm high.

I've already seen all kinds of things and all kinds of different numbers (in the technical data sheets) and found nothing in kN / m³...

You can find it from very simple materials, PUR and OSB in kN/m³ immediately, but I-joist apparently not.

Can someone help me? :)

Sponsored Links
IIRC a newton is about 1/10 of a kg, so a kilonewton would be about 100kg. Metres cubed is just the three dimensions multiplied together.

Good luck

Blup

Depends what type of I beam you picked- the solid ones or open lattice.
If its the solids then easy life- yiu just need to determine the volume (and thus the weight) of timber and OSB in a metre then apply that number to all the I beam in the scheme.

found nothing in kN / m³

List of Density of diffrent types of wood here (in kg/m³):

I believe Most UK joists are Pine, so likley to be one of these:
Pine, radiata480 kg/m³
Pine, Scots510 kg/m³
Pine, white350 - 500 kg/m³
Pine, yellow420 kg/m³

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Weight is measured in kg, not kN - which is for force/load.

So be clear what you have been asked to do or are attempting to do. Be careful not to mix up the two, that can be catastrophic!

For example, a 350mm deep engineered joist, with a OSB web is either approx 4.5 or 5.5 kg/m run depending on the loading required - ie for greater loads or spans the web or flange timber would be thicker, so the weight greater. For specific joists, only the manufacturer can provide specific details

For these types of questions, you would not normally calculate and add up individual materials, rather you would typically work out component values such as a floor comprising of ceiling, joists, decking and services. Likewise for walls and roofs.

Also remember to work out component weight/load (dead), imposed load (live) (furniture, people etc) and any snow or wind loading. And add the relevant factors to the calculated figures depending on what standard you are using - BS, EN.

Thank you all! With all this information I can further continue with my school assignment :)

So where he is "a newton is about 1/10 of a kg" just as it is everywhere else on Earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back